Who has done this before?

klrv6

Have a burnout party!!!
OK, I am seriously thinking about becoming a frequent poster in this section....

I have an 86 GN that needs some mechanical work and a repaint and interior work to make it a show quality car. My thoughts are to yank the lc2 and drop a turbo LSsomething or other in there. I know the 5.3 would do great but, my personality gets in the way and I would always wonder how much more I could get out of the 6.0. What are some experiences you guys have had in making the decision to go V8 vs V6 in the buick?

Most people slam the idea but, I just want a the sharp body and something that can be fairly reliable. I think cost will balance out for the same performance level I desire or even be cheaper going the LS route. The novelty of a fast V6 seems to be wearing off and the reality that a V8 can be more reliable and make the same or greater power is setting in. The car will mainly be a street car.

I have the current LC2 (83K) and tranny, 109 block, 040 block, 3 cranks (1 turbo), new TRW forged pistons, new postons 107 cam+lifters and a few other parts that could be sold to help fund the project.

Who else has been down this road? What major obstacles did you run into?

First remember is you car. Do what makes you happy. But you do have to set a HP goal. That will determine which way to go.

The LS market is huge now and you can basically mail order a turbo LS engine that will take 12-1400 HP. Only the fab end will slow you down like headers and intercooler system.

But If you do a buick style front mount it is easily adapted. Stainless Works is now making turbo style headers that will fit in a G body.

So all in all things should go smothly as long as you have $$$$, motivation and mechanical knowledge.

If doing it all over again I would build a Ls2 with a 88-90 mm turbo and limit the HP to under 1000.

I have a set of turbo headers made for a G-body with an LS motor.
They are made out of Stainless steel also.PM me for more details.

thanks
Dennis

Because I would be having much more fun with it street driving it.

Look who I found:biggrin:

Attachments

• BG 2009 083.jpg
    BG 2009 083.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,044
I just spit my soda at the screen.. that is a funny pic.

U see you cant be having fun on the street having to fold up the chutes with a crazy doing the macarena next to you...LOL

Looks like the little one was playing jump rope with the parachute rope...;)

ride

Most people slam the idea but, I just want a the sharp body and something that can be fairly reliable. I think cost will balance out for the same performance level I desire or even be cheaper going the LS route. The novelty of a fast V6 seems to be wearing off and the reality that a V8 can be more reliable and make the same or greater power is setting in. The car will mainly be a street car. Who else has been down this road? What major obstacles did you run into?

Who cares what most people think. If it bothers you that much then do like I did and get another gbody platform besides the turbo regal. Main reason is no matter how fast a grand national is it does not matter. They are worth as much if not more bone stock and in great shape rather than modded and raced into the ground. If you are past that point then sell the turbo regal to a true enthusiast then buy a cheap montecarlo or olds. If you can get a nice model for much cheaper maybe even a roller then get that and build a power adder v8 platform in that. The fast v6 is infact a novelty. A cool one but still a novelty.

Not all but some on here I see smack talking the new zr1. If a guy purposely built one of those to be ONLY a drag car and took it to the limit they would hammer pretty much any TR. However those cars are engineered for more than just a 1320 blast. I would not hesitate to drive a new zr1 across country. I would not drive a heavily modified turbo regal across state. Like Louie previosly stated you have to consider your budget and goals. If you get past what others think you could get a good deal on a 5.3 or 6.0 iron truck motor and put together something with around 15 psi that would make plenty of power for the street and last alot longer. Beware once this happens you will be happy until the first ricer gn guy comes up to you at a car show and says his v6 dynos more and is faster. It will happen because there are still guys out there like that that truly are all about that sort of thing and you have to be ready to encounter that. Not that a super fast v6 is not cool but again if it is right for that guy then so be it. Not for everyone. Not all of us are willing to sell junk converters and scam people just to finance our insatiable desire to race gn's and nothing more.

I'm in the process of building a montecarlo ss with a well built lt1 with an efi connection ignition conversion. If all goes well my ultimate plans are to super charge or turbo charge it. The one thing I like about driving this car is I don't encounter the rednecks at every gas station talking about the gn and how the fbi used them and they came twin turbo and their buddy had a gnx that was at area 51 when it was being designed. I can actually drive this car and enjoy it without the morons and their lame comments every 5 minutes. Good luck to you and whatever you decide to build.

Who cares what most people think. If it bothers you that much then do like I did and get another gbody platform besides the turbo regal. Main reason is no matter how fast a grand national is it does not matter. They are worth as much if not more bone stock and in great shape rather than modded and raced into the ground. If you are past that point then sell the turbo regal to a true enthusiast then buy a cheap montecarlo or olds. If you can get a nice model for much cheaper maybe even a roller then get that and build a power adder v8 platform in that. The fast v6 is infact a novelty. A cool one but still a novelty.

Not all but some on here I see smack talking the new zr1. If a guy purposely built one of those to be ONLY a drag car and took it to the limit they would hammer pretty much any TR. However those cars are engineered for more than just a 1320 blast. I would not hesitate to drive a new zr1 across country. I would not drive a heavily modified turbo regal across state. Like Louie previosly stated you have to consider your budget and goals. If you get past what others think you could get a good deal on a 5.3 or 6.0 iron truck motor and put together something with around 15 psi that would make plenty of power for the street and last alot longer. Beware once this happens you will be happy until the first ricer gn guy comes up to you at a car show and says his v6 dynos more and is faster. It will happen because there are still guys out there like that that truly are all about that sort of thing and you have to be ready to encounter that. Not that a super fast v6 is not cool but again if it is right for that guy then so be it. Not for everyone. Not all of us are willing to sell junk converters and scam people just to finance our insatiable desire to race gn's and nothing more.

I'm in the process of building a montecarlo ss with a well built lt1 with an efi connection ignition conversion. If all goes well my ultimate plans are to super charge or turbo charge it. The one thing I like about driving this car is I don't encounter the rednecks at every gas station talking about the gn and how the fbi used them and they came twin turbo and their buddy had a gnx that was at area 51 when it was being designed. I can actually drive this car and enjoy it without the morons and their lame comments every 5 minutes. Good luck to you and whatever you decide to build.

All very true. My 4 year old son put it best when I told him we were looking at a bigger engine for the grand national. His response was "So we can have a burnout party?". I just want something that I can play in and not be afraid to drive it and get stuck. 500-700HP will more than do for my plans. It is near stock but, previous owners made it almost impossible to get this thing restored to factory without serious money in the paint and interior.:(

Making plans now:)

Confused under boost

All very true. My 4 year old son put it best when I told him we were looking at a bigger engine for the grand national. His response was "So we can have a burnout party?". I just want something that I can play in and not be afraid to drive it and get stuck. 500-700HP will more than do for my plans. It is near stock but, previous owners made it almost impossible to get this thing restored to factory without serious money in the paint and interior.:(

Making plans now:)
I feel you BRO I'm doing the exact oppsite going from good old loud fun V8 to to highly complexed boosted drop in hot air set-up with 87 build up in process. My confusion is should I wait and build the 109 or drop in HA and have fun now?

Too many parts for ten seconds

I am thinking of doing the same thing with my TR. A turbo LS motor would be awsome. I even went to my local auto recycler and they had a dozen LS motors ranging from 5.3L to 6.0L already pulled on pallets ready to go. My TR is a salvage title so I have no problem doing the swap.

Dont believe that our cars in V6 form are unreliable for a second. Ive driven mine to nationals 6-7 times over 600 miles each way with never a problem. It runs 11s on low boost and I have gotten 28 mpg at its best! I dont think im the exception either. I think if your goal is 700 or more hp then it makes sense but ive seen plenty of LS motors blow at high hp.

Dont believe that our cars in V6 form are unreliable for a second. Ive driven mine to nationals 6-7 times over 600 miles each way with never a problem. It runs 11s on low boost and I have gotten 28 mpg at its best! I dont think im the exception either. I think if your goal is 700 or more hp then it makes sense but ive seen plenty of LS motors blow at high hp.
Well said Luke. I shall expand on your thought. lol

First off, anyone can do anything to their car they would like. I am not biased that way. Onto my "beef" if you would call it that.

Wasn't the whole purpose of the Turbo Buick to go out there and run with V8's with a little motor? My own thoughts are that if you V8 one then you just lost the one thing that made them special in the first place. I work on LSx, Mod motor Fords and others DAILY since my shop is a street performance shop specializing in boosted and nitrous applications. Although I am a firm believer that the LS is the pick of the litter of modern performance engines, I have ZERO desire to put one in my 87 Turbo T. Partly because the car is a collectible piece of our automotive history and also because personally if I want to build a turbo V8 powered car I can think of several better options than a Regal. Also I've found those you tube hero vids about late model budget swaps and hauling ass for cheap always leave out the "and we blew it up the very next pass."

As far as reliable cruising in a modded car(any car)it all depends on how much you spent putting it together.

I have three words I live by at my shop. You are only allowed to pick two out of the three for any project. They are:

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Pick two, any combo. The third will be left out.

If a car is built for a 1/4 mile at a time, doesn't matter what's under the hood, it will most likely NOT be a great road trip car. If you want a road trip car that hauls balls reliably just get out the checkbook and buy the parts that will allow the car to do it.

OK, I am seriously thinking about becoming a frequent poster in this section....

I have an 86 GN that needs some mechanical work and a repaint and interior work to make it a show quality car. My thoughts are to yank the lc2 and drop a turbo LSsomething or other in there. I know the 5.3 would do great but, my personality gets in the way and I would always wonder how much more I could get out of the 6.0. What are some experiences you guys have had in making the decision to go V8 vs V6 in the buick?

Most people slam the idea but, I just want a the sharp body and something that can be fairly reliable. I think cost will balance out for the same performance level I desire or even be cheaper going the LS route. The novelty of a fast V6 seems to be wearing off and the reality that a V8 can be more reliable and make the same or greater power is setting in. The car will mainly be a street car.

I have the current LC2 (83K) and tranny, 109 block, 040 block, 3 cranks (1 turbo), new TRW forged pistons, new postons 107 cam+lifters and a few other parts that could be sold to help fund the project.

Who else has been down this road? What major obstacles did you run into?

It comes down to it is your car and do what you want to do. V-6 v-8 it is your choice.

You can beaten is to death on both sides. Go with what you want to do!

First remember is you car. Do what makes you happy. But you do have to set a HP goal. That will determine which way to go.

The LS market is huge now and you can basically mail order a turbo LS engine that will take 12-1400 HP. Only the fab end will slow you down like headers and intercooler system.

But If you do a buick style front mount it is easily adapted. Stainless Works is now making turbo style headers that will fit in a G body.

So all in all things should go smothly as long as you have $$$$, motivation and mechanical knowledge.

If doing it all over again I would build a Ls2 with a 88-90 mm turbo and limit the HP to under 1000.
I agree with this, I have explored the limits of practicability with a g-body more than once in regards to a street/strip application, There really is such a thing as too much horsepower & once a certain limit has been exceeded the fun seems to go away & you basically now have a useless vehicle that is neither a street or race car & only good to scare the hell out of your friends & go for joy rides.

Or do like me and have both i got an 87 gn and i recently purchased a 87 limited which will have a plain 355 sbc in it id like to turbo it in the future with a little m block but in the mean time im gonna have fun and drive it..When i wan v8 rumble ill drive the t and when i want the turbo ill drive the gn!!