Which TCC solenoid to get?

Bob Avellar

My TC does not lock up and I have checked the wiring, etc. so I am hoping it is just the solenoid. Does anyone know the part # for the proper solenoid? I seem to remember reading that it is better to use one from a 700R4 because they are better quality. I figure my local Buick dealer won't have the 2004R one anyway since they never have any parts for my 86 GN. I thought I might try to get one from my friendly Auto parts store where they at least give me a discount. They do carry alot of AC Delco parts. I guess I either need a part # or an application for it. If I get one of the 700 R4 solenoids does it automatically come with some kind of spacers or something that need to be used in the 2004R? I really need to do this in the next few days because a friend of mine is anxious to race me in his 90 Camaro. I refuse to loose but I want the car to be running strong. I plan to try and get valve springs in it ASAP too. Thanks!!!

Use a 1989 Chevrolet truck, 350 engine 700r4 trans. Cut and splice wires. Only two you need to fool with is + and - . Should be 20 bucks or so
There are generic ones for a cheaper price.

Bruce
WE4

Thanks! Aren't there spacers or washers that have to be used with it? Thought I read that somewhere. Also , the wires that I have to fool with- Am I reversing something with the wiring? Is the splice inside the tranny or at the connector outside? I didn't realize there was a wiring difference also. That doesn't worry me as long as I know what goes where. Thanks again.

The way they are designed and made. One is a plunger style and the 700 is electromagnet. The latter works better at higher pressure and temp.

Bruce
We4
www.ptsnctb.com

I want to thank Bruce (WE4) for returning my phone call yesterday concerning my questions about the lockup solenoid and the valve above it. He helped me to identify my valve body as being the correct one and gave me a tutorial on the lockup circuit. When I called he was busy machining something but another guy said he'd call me -and he did. Long distance from California to Mass BTW and he walked me through a bunch of stuff that he did not have to do. I was trying to cut things short but he gave me more info and time than I deserved. Nice guy! I was under the car, laying in the grass, holding a flashlight in one hand and trying to hold the phone to my ear, and scraping a protruding gasket on the valve body with my other hand while looking for a "X" on the vB separater plate. Of course tranny fluid was dripping on the phone and my head. I was concerned about the valve above the lockup solenoid but he assured me that it was normal. Anyway, Bruce- that solenoid solved the problem. It works fine now. The old solenoid (which was a new one and one for the 700R4) was bad. I applied 12v to it and I could hear it click. Problem was it didn't hold any pressure! I just blew through it in both positions and it did not seal. So just hearing a clicking solenoid doesn't necessarilly mean its any good. Man it's nice to have it lock up after so long. I had just put this job off far too long. Took a ride down Cape Cod today and told my wife I must be getting about 100 mpg now. I think the solenoid was 22 bucks. I had to reinstall 7 qts of tranny fluid with the filter because I let it drain all night long. The book said 3 1/2 qts for a normal change. I would highly recommend Bruce and his company for anything for our cars if his service is this good- and I hadn't even bought anything. Good will like that pays off eventually and when I need another rebuild or maybe upgraded convertor I will go to Bruce first! Thanks again.

This might be a dumb question because I'm going to do this soon,in anticipation of a new 9/1 lockup,but since I haven't opened the pan yet..Anyway,where do you put the spacers for the solenoid?Do you need two for two different spots?Or do you stack them?What's their O.D. and I.D. sizes?Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
This might be a dumb question because I'm going to do this soon,in anticipation of a new 9/1 lockup,but since I haven't opened the pan yet..Anyway,where do you put the spacers for the solenoid?Do you need two for two different spots?Or do you stack them?What's their O.D. and I.D. sizes?Thanks in advance.

Hey Radius? Call me and I will set you up.EASY!!!!!!!

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Originally posted by The Radius Kid

So which washers and where?