which map sensor for over 30psi?

325DR

For those of you with a bs3 or fast system and running over 30psi, which map sensor are you using? What kind of map increments do you see with a 5 bar? Im sure the resolution goes down quite a bit? Thanks.

You need to contact the maker of your ECM. In addition to adding a 5-BAR sensor, you also need a software modification...if your ECM will work with said sensor.

Scott231 said:
You need to contact the maker of your ECM. In addition to adding a 5-BAR sensor, you also need a software modification...if your ECM will work with said sensor.

I know with the BS3 you can just choose the different map sensors in the configuration. I don't know if you have to do anything else.

Already have a bs3 which allows me to choose. Do I loose a lot of resolution now?

With the MAP sensor having a higher BAR reading you actually increase resolution across the width of the sensors read capability.

I misworded my question I guess...

By going to a 5 bar (75psi) sensor, the incremental readings are going to be in larger steps. So does this mean that the sensor will only read the boost in like 2psi increments?

Also who makes a 5 bar sensor? Thanks.

It really depends on how for over you are going to go. Are you talking 33 or 45. If it is just a few pounds over I would not worry about it especailly if you have wide band tracking.
Mike

Believe GM maps are analog outs, so any resolution loss is up to the ADC in the ECU unit... The ADC quantization levels are commonly fixed, therefore, at the same quantization levels, you will loose resolution since the ECU has to parse the analog signal into a discrete amount of levels. If the range is increased, for the same output sweep, the ADC still has to segment it up into the same number of intervals.

I would tend to think, however, that the ADC size would be plenty large to accommodate smaller increments than 2psi... IDK what size ADC are onboard though, so ??? who knows.

The 2 psi increment you had mentioned seems rather large and I would tend to say that it is just the GUI in the SW that is showing that increment... heck, even an 8bit ADC can divide the 5V sweep into 256 levels with 255 intervals... But then again, IDK what size the ADCs are on the FAST ECUs...

Finally, the accuracies and precisions on most pressure sensors are typically percent-range numbers, therefore the actual mechanical diaphram which controls the bridge network (ie little resistors) can only be measurable in certain increments with each laser trimmed element specified to its own tolerance.

But what are you going to do... isnt much of an option if you need to run that boost level unless you make your own ECU front end with a high precision sensor. A lot of medical grade p. sensors have amazing precisions and repeatabilities... I have some models laying around here but a lot of extra instrumentation cktry is needed to adapt. Some of the instr. ICs i was using cost $10 a pop and require dual supply... The first alky kit i made used one of these high quality sensors but for a car environment, it wasnt worth it to dump 75 bucks into just the sensor and associated instrumentation cktry. Now i use a stand alone motorola device for 15 bucks - works great.

Phil... electricity is a good thing