Which Laptop?

camino70

I am going to be purchasing a laptop for work use and was hoping someone could give me guidance to what and where?

It will not be used for gaming, but a high quality machine with plenty of processing power and memory would be great. Bells and whistles(burners, etc.) are nice but not neccessary.

TIA,
Ron

My favorite place to shop around for computer stuff is http://www.pricewatch.com/
Once you know what you want you will be able to find the cheapest price hear. The only problem might be return policies. I have bought a few computer peripherials from Staples and I always buy the exteneded warranty or product replacement plan. I have saved money every time with these plans.

I have to agree, you can't beat the Wal-Mart of Computers when it comes to price..

They also have the best warrenty program I've seen if you damage your computer.

I highly recommend Dell. I work as a Dell Service Provider (but not employed by Dell). These are very good computers and they offer a superb warranty. And I must say that the warranty is a very important thing to look at if it´s going to be for work use.

I´ve been repairing all their system (laptop, dekstop, worskstation, server, printer) the last 4 years. I´ve also been working with HP/C and Fuji-Siemens.

I have 3 Dells in the house, one a notebook PC (Latitude D600). The notebook is decent, nothing special, but yes I'd possibly or probably buy one again.

On the other hand, if there is not a compelling reason to stick with Windows software (eg compatibility with employer's software) ... the Apple notebooks with Mac OS-X are gorgeous and have by far the better industrial design. Most Windows software has an Apple equivalent (or better), including Microsoft Office for Mac.

My son's Apple iPod needed service (unit froze up) near the end of warranty (actually i think it was a little past warranty ;) ) and the Apple service was excellent & fast without any BS, better than Dell's service IMO. Apple even replaced the earbud 'phones even though it was just normal wear & tear (broken wire).

Next time someone in my family is due for a notebook PC, I could really warm up to an Apple Powerbook or iBook! ;)

I have a Toshiba Satellite series that I've had for nearly two years that has been pretty much trouble-free. I recently checked Consumer Reports and I want to say the Dell's, Toshibas and Sonys were all good, but the Compaq was their first place winner.

I just bought a Dell laptop. I bought a secondhand one from store that buys them in bulk from businesses who are upgrading. A real cheap way to surf the web and check email which is all I needed it for at this time.

Dell Latitude 600, I just bought one. Only weighs 4lbs and has a 4hr battery. Watch dells website, they run 1 day specials and you can get some awesome prices...

Tosibah, Gateway, Sony, Dell are my recomendations. Dell would win me over becuase of there JIT (just in time) Operations management system they use to run their company. It gives them a competitive advantage over other pc companies becuase they make their pc's right when you order them just in time and dont have to deal with costs of inventory and other stuff...and combining with great reputation, product, ect. they are on top. So they are very competitive and offer a product that is quality with a price thats hard to beat. And yes the "specials" that run for 1 or so days are the way to really get a deal. Good luck with your choice,

Ben

Originally posted by Lunkan
I highly recommend Dell. I work as a Dell Service Provider (but not employed by Dell). These are very good computers and they offer a superb warranty. And I must say that the warranty is a very important thing to look at if it´s going to be for work use.

I´ve been repairing all their system (laptop, dekstop, worskstation, server, printer) the last 4 years. I´ve also been working with HP/C and Fuji-Siemens.

In the times that we've had to deal with Dell for our customers, I'd have to fully disagree with that. I have yet to find their A+ customer satisfaction rating they give themselves. You also need to be aware of what you're getting. Most of their cheap PC's advertised seem to have a catch (no monitor, 10 mail in rebates, etc.). Not to knock Dell, they do have some good pricing, but from my personal experience, the warranty service reflects those cheap prices.

I have had four Compaq's. One laptop and three towers. NO problems at all. Last week my daughter grabbed the screen of the laptop while it was on my lap and she pull the top backwards and broke the hinge. Well now the computer is at COmpaq being replace, I bought the no fault warranty. The computer is three years old and very out of date, no I will have a fresh one for next to nothing. I like Compaq.

DELL

anything but IBM--ask me how I know

I second that!!

Watch Dell for the good sales, I have seen Dells and Toshibas brand new for $500:) these were'nt junk, just stacking rebates nd discounts.