Which is better for me? BRF or KZF?

3.8TransAM

I have both of them sitting around, ones from a turbo buick the other is from a 86 442.

I need to rebuild the tranny in my TTA, its slipping on the 2-3 and I've added 150-200hp to it since it last worked right :)

Its a pt-67, 3k stalled, CNC heads and intake and 210/210 roller cammed beastie. Hoping to be 10 sec capable when all is said and done.

Just trying to find out if one core is superior to the other since so much will be new in the tranny anyhow.(The original suffered catasrophic failure or retard bolt tightening in its life and has the case welded around one of the bolt hole ears)

Was thinking of using the gov. from a MC SS and raising the shift rpm's up some to help with the cam and turbo. Also about using the billet drum and possibly input shaft as well.

I want peoples thoughts and opinions. I do have a budget, but I will not sacrifce anything for strength and reliability as I learned a long time ago, its easier to pay more once than to pay less twice.

I have a Vigi 3k converter in it already that I was going to have it gone thru and maybe restalled to 3.2-3.4k.

Just figuring out all my angles before I dive in.

I think at this point Vince Janis in cincinatti will be doing it, its no slight to anyone here, its just the closest person I think I can trust with this type of rebuild(and I dont want to deal with issues(if they happen) and be half continents apart.

thanks
Jeremy

Jeremy,
Go with the BRF. The KZ will provide to low WOT upshifts.
The Monte SS gov is the smae as the BRF gov, and will not get you higher upshifts from swapping.
And those billet parts should help your strength and reliabilty for the future, as the Vig converters are merciless on hard parts. :eek:
Good luck with your build up.
Brian Hofer

Interesting.

I thought the SS gov had higher shift points?

Oh well, thats why I'm asking questions now.

later
Jeremy

The SS does have higher shift points. It is V-B related.
It uses the same gov, just a diff color gear.

Brian