which down pipes/up pipes ?

phvrod

FAST WITH CLASS
Putting together my 85 but not stock.After many, many reviews of what it appears you guys have been installing on your cars istill have a lot of questions on up/down pipes also delta gates.

Ive decided to start with the turbomotion v2 with the TA33,alky kit,kenny bell headers (WFO no comment please):eek:

42.5 injectors with TT chip,87 ecm,powerlogger,87 throttle body,980 springs.10.5 taylor wires,adjustable fuel regulator,hot wire and new pumps.dual ram charger ele.fan and 3bar map sensor...have mopst everything sitting here..

Not really sold on up/down pipes...Fuel mileage is not an issue..looking for 12 seconds eventually, adding a stall convertor is no problem and the tranny is ready for the challenge. Anyones thoughts would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance..if custom making them is best let me know as well..Paul

Attachments

• DSC_0799.jpg
    DSC_0799.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0794.jpg
    DSC_0794.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 304
I have some input which can help. The uppipe size is irelevant when it comes to performance upgrades. The stock uppipe with no leaks or a JAYSGN are fine and work the same. The downpipe is the expensive one. The real key is the elimination of the 2 inch turbo elbow. I went the expensive route and had a custom intergrated 2 1/2 inch downpipe made which can easily handle the TA33C turbo. The off the shelf answer is the 3 inch GBODYPARTS intergrated downpipe. The GBODYPARTS route allows for a bigger turbo later. Good luck. Brad

phvrod

I went to their site..didnt find it? got a pic or a diffrent link?

It is there. GBODYPARTS.COM. Look under Buick, High performance, exhaust. It is $575 plus shipping. Brad

If Gbodyparts has one on the shelf you should probly just buy one and see if it works with the KBs.

Making your own up pipe would be pretty easy if a stock replacement doesn't work.

What's your question on the deltagate?

I'd assume the Gbody 3" DP is an internal THDP style so you'd use your stock actuator.

phvrod

DUH..I found it thanks....went under engines not exaust...

GBodyParts.com Buick Hot Air V-6 3" Downpipe $575.00

GBodyParts Exclusive! Finally a 3" polished stainless steel down pipe for the Buick Hot Air racers.

Made with all of the same qualities of our intercooled downpipe. The Hot Air downpipe features polished 304 stainless steel. The puck sleeves and bushings are rated to 1600 degrees to prevent puck failure and hanging up. The puck size is 1.375". It falls dead center of the waste gate hole.The flange is laser cut 5/8" stainless steel as well.

The downpipe is a two piece design so it can be installed with the engine in place. Leak tight slip fit design.

Mounting flange and waste gate puck features

Two piece construction. Leak tight slip fit design

Downpipe installed on customer car. Check out the fit and finish!

Cross section compared to stock down pipe. You know there is a lot of power you can make with this down pipe.

as far as delta gates my question was, is that an option to look into? with this pipe using this stock waste gate a delta gate wouldnt ever be used i assume...Maybe im not understanding what the delta gate is really good for?

Word of caution.......

I believe the gbodyparts pipe is a copy of one of keith mease's pipes (very godly pieces) that he made a while back.

With the kenne bell headers the dp will not fit as is. Due to the crossover hook up being further out then stock it has to be customized.

I have kenne bell exhaust and a mease dp on my car and they are a great combination, but they are not meant for each other.

My brother bought a 3"dp from gbody back when brian was a vendor for mease. I recently put that pipe on his car (with stock rewelded headers) with absolutely no problem great fit.

So you have been warned...

Unmodified pics

The quality of welds on the mease pipe are insane. I just wish it would have fit (the kenne bell) for the $500 I sent him. He never advertised it would fit those headers by the way. Can't blame him. Can blame him for holding my pipe in his attic for 7-8 months though after payment was received by him.

Jerry jr.

I think you have a problem Jerry. You sleep with your downpipe?:eek: I thought I was bad.:biggrin:

Thas where my dad had it...

Well after I figured I had been screwed out of my $500 like most of meases's customers; I didn't figure I was ever going to see my pipe. I came home from college (San Marcos) one day to visit the folks and low and behold I open the bedroom door and there she was.

Turns out my mom got ahold of meases mom and told her how bad of a boy little mease was and she made him send the pipe to me.

Mom to the rescue once again, thanks

Jerry jr.

phvrod

Thanks for the advice..ive been hearing theres not a lot of room or some modifying needs to be done..surprised there not just a better flowing three inch elbow?

so my choices are?

#1 Leave the stock down pipe,maybe port/polish the elbow?

#2 gbody parts but most likely wont fit past Kenne Bell headers?

#3 mease pipe but still may not fit and hard to find ..but easy to get in the sack?

Just kidding....hell im taking pictures of the turbo like its a model... Thanks for the help guys..im still undecided ..been busy all day polishing this v2 intake and starting to mount the dual fans..

Attachments

• DSC_0811.jpg
    DSC_0811.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0805.jpg
    DSC_0805.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_0808.jpg
    DSC_0808.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 265
i myself have a mease 3 inch downpipe best bolt i have bought from him i got mine a few years back had the option of getting it jet hot coated (sweet finish look still looks like the fisrt day i got it ) i also got the option of getting either a straight or dump pipe with it (got the dump) all for a little over 600 or just 600 i dont remember exactly he sent me out the downpipe before payment was made so that was a really sweet really good guy and product i have nothing but good to say bout that and them any way it was an easy install fit right in totally felt the difference in the car noticable for sure i can get a pic if you would like to see

phvrod

i bet it fit right in..no heater core? sometimes we need heat in Indiana :mad: looks nice what up pipe is that ?

First post on this site... I'm psyched that I found this thread; I was starting to bum out about not being able to find a performance down pipe for my '84 GN. Lots of good stuff at GBodyParts.com... I know where my next paycheck is going! :)

So, where can I find a TA33 (TA33C?) turbo to fit this HA beast? Does anyone sell a bolt-on, or do I need to have it sent out?

Thanks!