Which cylinder heads should i run?

chucklesdaklown

My goal is 11 seconds. I'm running 44 lbs injectors, an aeromotive stealth 340 fuel pump, TT hotwire kit, turbonetics t3/t4 hybrid turbo, tt chip, 2.5 downpipe, and a rebuilt bottom end with mostly stock parts and arp bolts. I was running the wrong spark plugs and had a detonation event. Now I'm in the market for new heads. With these mods could i hit 11 seconds? Also with these mods what heads should i run to get to that goal?

If you're thinking about upgrading heads Champion CNC ported irons are the bang for the buck. They will work with all your stock stuff. I don't remember much about the turbo you're running but if it is similar in size to a TE 44 / TA 49 it should get you into the 11 second range with some good gas, boost and decent tires.

Neal

A good port job on a stock head or some champions are all you need. Deals on ported irons are usually available if you ask on this board.

A good port job on a stock head or some champions are all you need. Deals on ported irons are usually available if you ask on this board.
Do a good bowl job on a set of heads and it will easily get into the 11's or get a good turbo and tune and you should be good. You don't need a full port job to make it there.;)

Thanks for all the advice. Im gonna go with the champion ported iron heads. They seem a bit more reliable for everyday street use.

Do a good bowl job on a set of heads and it will easily get into the 11's or get a good turbo and tune and you should be good. You don't need a full port job to make it there.;)

The stock irons can go a long way. I went 10's at 127 mph with stock size valves and light bowl port only.

How much is it to pay a shop for:
bowl porting
milling for straightness
new guides
springs
seals
and valve job

Vs. Buying a fully ported set of Champion Irons ready to bolt on. I like doing things like pulling heads once. I say Champions!

If you were closer you could come out and learn how to do it yourself. One of the DFW guys came down and I let him use my tools and taught him how to do it. For a first time job he did really well.:)

Unfortunately my stock heads are heading off to vahalla. i wouldnt mind learning how to port heads. I'm located in Maryland is that anywhere near you. But I am gonna go with the champion iron heads. I only wanna change the heads once and while I'm doing it I'm switching over to the champion ported intake manifold.

I have taught a few guys how to port heads. I do one cylinder and then hand them the tooling and let them go at it. Not ONE guy ever wanted to do it again after that one set that they did. Most guys just don't have the fore arm strength and patience needed to port cylinder heads. It can be very boring and your arms and hands will fatigue out quickly. I wear a radio head set, respirator, face shield and stand on a rubber mat. It usually takes me about 12-18 hours to port a set of heads depending on level of work needed. Ported iron heads have gone in the 8's. That little turbocharger covers LOTS of mistakes.:)