Which C-Clip eliminator kit?

Squid4life

So, I am getting ready to order some rear end parts to include Moser axles and C-Clip eliminators. How do I know what seat diameter I need to order???

Options are:

* 1.533 in.
* 1.398 in.
* 1.772 in.

Do not buy Moser C-Clip elims. They are a standard bearing that can not handle side loads at all. Strange makes a G Body taper bearing C-Clip elim that is more "street friendly". I learned the hard way!!!

Moser

Do not buy Moser C-Clip elims. They are a standard bearing that can not handle side loads at all. Strange makes a G Body taper bearing C-Clip elim that is more "street friendly". I learned the hard way!!!

I've had Moser c-clip eliminator axles in my GN for over 15 years without any bearing problem at all, even when driving the car on the street. The only mod I did was to install an oil seal inside the axle tube (where there enough machining on the axles) to prevent leakage. Other than that, I'm very pleased with them. I do not hesitate to recommend them! :wink:

Claude. :smile:

I've had Moser c-clip eliminator axles in my GN for over 15 years without any bearing problem at all, even when driving the car on the street. The only mod I did was to install an oil seal inside the axle tube (where there enough machining on the axles) to prevent leakage. Other than that, I'm very pleased with them. I do not hesitate to recommend them! :wink:

About 8 years here, several years of daily driver duty in there.

I'm glad you have had no problems Claude. :cool: Mine were a nightmare from the beginning. I will never buy another Moser product again, unless it's cheap. :D I called Moser before I installed mine the first time. I told them that I had their axles with screw in studs and C-Clips elims. I asked them if they had any tips for installation. They told me to just press them on and have a good day. They missed the fact that I had screw in studs. Because the elims will hit the heads of the studs before the will seat where they need to. I call them back and they told me that the studs need .187 turned off of the head to clear the elims. They forgot to tell me this important information fact when asked for installation tips. So I had press the elim back off to turn the heads down. Their little paper template they give you to drill the holes is a joke to say the least. Strange actually gives you gaskets to seal the elims. Moser gives you a tube of silicone. I honestly lost track of how many times I had to reseal it and buy new brake shoes.

I'm glad you have had no problems Claude. :cool: Mine were a nightmare from the beginning. I will never buy another Moser product again, unless it's cheap. :D I called Moser before I installed mine the first time. I told them that I had their axles with screw in studs and C-Clips elims. I asked them if they had any tips for installation. They told me to just press them on and have a good day. They missed the fact that I had screw in studs. Because the elims will hit the heads of the studs before the will seat where they need to. I call them back and they told me that the studs need .187 turned off of the head to clear the elims. They forgot to tell me this important information fact when asked for installation tips. So I had press the elim back off to turn the heads down. Their little paper template they give you to drill the holes is a joke to say the least. Strange actually gives you gaskets to seal the elims. Moser gives you a tube of silicone. I honestly lost track of how many times I had to reseal it and buy new brake shoes.

If you have screw in studs with hex heads instead of allen headed they fit as is.

What needs to be done is clearance the elim for the allen heads so any stud will work, mine are done that way and Moser should just start doing it to all of them, it was easy.

I've used C-clip eliminator kits long ago on Camaros and Chevelles, but today we have aftermarket suppliers that can hook us up with just about anything.
If you are seriously upgrading your GM rear axle I would suggest replacing the housing ends completely and going straight to what is known as Ford ends, while your at it upgrade the drums to Fords 11 inch units if not going disc.
Good luck.

Kevin.

If you have screw in studs with hex heads instead of allen headed they fit as is.

What needs to be done is clearance the elim for the allen heads so any stud will work, mine are done that way and Moser should just start doing it to all of them, it was easy.

Mine were regular hardened hex head bolts, not allen heads. I just put them in the lathe and cut .187 off of the head of the bolt. I destroyed 2 or 3 carbide inserts doing it. :D They are definitely hard. Then everything went together fine. I didn't touch the elims.

In all reality Kevin hit the nail on the head. Just put 9" ends on it and call it a day. No more leaks or problems. If I had to do it all over again that's what I would of done.

Mine were regular hardened hex head bolts, not allen heads. I just put them in the lathe and cut .187 off of the head of the bolt. I destroyed 2 or 3 carbide inserts doing it. :D They are definitely hard. Then everything went together fine. I didn't touch the elims.

In all reality Kevin hit the nail on the head. Just put 9" ends on it and call it a day. No more leaks or problems. If I had to do it all over again that's what I would of done.

Strange, I must just have had shorter headed studs because before I changed them the were hex headed and fit fine. They were Moser studs though.

If I was building a whole rear end today, I would want to do 9" ends...But just doing something for axle retention I would do C-clip elims.

"1of1547", I'm sorry to hear all the trouble you've had with your Moser components...:redface: The axles I got from them came with the metric studs already installed in them, so I don't remember if they're pressed-in or screwed-in, but they clear the bearing housings, no problem.
At first I bought their axles and a few years later, I installed their spool and never had a problem. The last thing I need to complete my whole "Moser setup" is a girdled rear axle cover, which I might do...

Claude. :)

So if I went with the Strange Engineering C-Clip Eliminators, which Moser axle would I need to go with? I prefer the Moser axle and rather not go with Strange axles....I plan on sticking with 28 splines.

Thanks, Bill

So if I went with the Strange Engineering C-Clip Eliminators, which Moser axle would I need to go with? I prefer the Moser axle and rather not go with Strange axles....I plan on sticking with 28 splines.

Thanks, Bill

Just the stock replacement Mosers.

If I was building a whole rear end today, I would want to do 9" ends...But just doing something for axle retention I would do C-clip elims.

I feel the same. Not really at a level to warrant the 9"ends, plus funds/ fab skills a little lacking in that arena. I will more than likely get the Moser axles, then do some more research on which eliminator to run. Usually if I use one part made by "X" brand, I usually try to stick with the same manufacturer to ensure everything is good to go, but we will see. Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!

Sorry been busy, Here is the link for the C-Clips Strange Engineering . You can thank John Wilde for the link. He hooked me up when I needed them. :cool: So far so good!!!

This link shows A1033, but says oval track/Drag racing only. Site says street, so that is good. It is a 8.5" 10 bolt, correct? Don't want to have to return anything...

No issues using strange c clip elims with moser axles, is there? Moser Engineering A102808

Moser Engineering A102808 - Moser Engineering Replacement C-Clip Axles - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The only mod I did was to install an oil seal inside the axle tube (where there enough machining on the axles) to prevent leakage.

Claude, or anyone else who has done this:

What seal did you guys use? Since the axle seal presses in the end of the axle tube, are you just using the stock seal in the new location since the axle nubs get cut off?

Have the car up on stands and am FINALLY about to do the axles, C-clip elims, rear end girdle, and driveshaft!