Which 4L80E to buy?

TurboChrisBenji

I'm looking to put a 6.0L with 4l80e combo in my Turbo T. I wanted to know if there is any specific year or model that has a stronger/better trans, than the rest? What are you guys that are running one using to control it? Thanks, Chris.

Hmmmmm, I am not a tranny expert but I will take a stab at this. I was told that 98 or 99 and up are better. The way to ID them is; the oil cooler lines on the pass side of the tranny are NOT next to each other. They are in two different locations. One by the tail shaft and other next to the bell housing.

HTH

Prasad

The 97 and up and he is correct the cooler lines are not next to each other. One of the with a transgo shift kit will take 800hp. I have a mvb with tb in mine but if go with this trans I have a TCI controller I will make you a good deal on. Jim at Transformance built mine and so far so good. I know a few people that he built the trans in their cars one of which was a daily driver that 9.40s and has been in the car for over 3 years now with out any trouble.

The 97 and up and he is correct the cooler lines are not next to each other. One of the with a transgo shift kit will take 800hp. I have a mvb with tb in mine but if go with this trans I have a TCI controller I will make you a good deal on. Jim at Transformance built mine and so far so good. I know a few people that he built the trans in their cars one of which was a daily driver that 9.40s and has been in the car for over 3 years now with out any trouble.

How do you like the mvb? I will be drag-racing occassionally. Is OD engaged with a switch or a custom shifter? What shifter are you using? Thanks for the info. Chris

I wish I had stayed with the electric trans for street use the mvb gets old. For drag racing you can just put it in 3rd and go it will shift where ever you have it set to shift and you can lock the converter when ever you want to. You will still have the lock up with the mvb you just have to put it on a switch. I have a B&M stealth pro ratchet shifter in mine but you can use any 4 speed shifter. If I had it to do over I would have kept mine electric and went with the rossler tb.

I wish I had stayed with the electric trans for street use the mvb gets old. For drag racing you can just put it in 3rd and go it will shift where ever you have it set to shift and you can lock the converter when ever you want to. You will still have the lock up with the mvb you just have to put it on a switch. I have a B&M stealth pro ratchet shifter in mine but you can use any 4 speed shifter. If I had it to do over I would have kept mine electric and went with the rossler tb.

What would you like to get for the TCI controller?

tci sells the stand alone for the new 6L80E six speed auto with paddle shift:D supports 850 flywheel hp. if your 6.0L is 2007 or newer the stock wiring harness will support the 6l80e just need programing

would this be the prefered trans for a 5.3 Tahoe motor that is carbed,and turbo'd in a yr or so..was thinking of a THM400...but want nice highway cruising rpm...some help in choosing a trans...thanks Dennis

I think the 4l80 and the 6l80 have the same final drive. I have a 4l80 with a mvb from CK performance that was built by Jim at Transformance in my car. I wouldnt run any but a 4l80 for a street/strip car. The only thing I would do different is keep it electric with a rossler transbrake so you can put it drive and go.

I have a good friend looking to sell a late 90's 4l80e for sale with TCI controller. He looking $1200 for both the trans and controller together. I believe the trans is stock but in good condition.

You need at least a 1996 trans because of major internal updates. The later trans ~ 2000 have the split cooler lines. It's a nice to have, but not a necessity. It was to fix the center support bushing wear that happens with high mileage and load.

Email me directly for more info: jqn555@live.com

Thanks.

PS.. the rossler brake works, but is slow. Can't protree race with one at all.

Why bother with all the hassle to make it fit and buy the controller to make it electronic? A well built 2004r from CK or comparable will handle 800+ horsepower. How fast were u planning on runnen?

Why bother with all the hassle to make it fit and buy the controller to make it electronic? A well built 2004r from CK or comparable will handle 800+ horsepower. How fast were u planning on runnen?

will a 200R bolt up to a tahoe 5.3,,and whats the cost of this well built,,,seem a nice th400 for up 900hp is $1295 and no core....me like that price...

Brett,

I feel your arguement - as I won't be using a 4l80e in anything soon that I can see. They are heavy.

but handling 800hp and handling 800hp for-a-long-time are two different things. why else with CK even make a 4l80e then. I would say it's all about piece of mind.

I'm a fan of the 2004r myself. I wouldn't use a 2004r in a turbo v8 app.. as I'm assuming that's happening in this section of the board.

Note: my 2004r that I'm using now has cost way more than my 4l80e setup in my stage II car including the controller and excluding the transbrake and converter.

Brett,

I feel your arguement - as I won't be using a 4l80e in anything soon that I can see. They are heavy.

but handling 800hp and handling 800hp for-a-long-time are two different things. why else with CK even make a 4l80e then. I would say it's all about piece of mind.

I'm a fan of the 2004r myself. I wouldn't use a 2004r in a turbo v8 app.. as I'm assuming that's happening in this section of the board.

Note: my 2004r that I'm using now has cost way more than my 4l80e setup in my stage II car including the controller and excluding the transbrake and converter.
They are heavy. If one is making 1000+ hp then the 4l80e is the way to go. Not many gonna make that kinda power tho for a street car or race car in the Buick world.

I have seen Bison make 800 hp in his car for two years straight beaten the balls off it and have had no issues in a full weight car. I think 60-70 WOT passes over two years is a-long-time. But im sure the 4l80 will last longer obviously.

I just think most under estimate the power handling of the 200 and think a 4l80 is the only way to go. I used to think that myself.

Brett,

You know it's all relative - we're pretty much on the same page - but it's all about piece of mind and what someone wants to spend. Of course a 2004r can be built to hold 800+hp but it's not going to be cheap - and you've got to really like your trans guy.