Where to mount Tranny temp sending unit??

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
I just bought a transmission temp gauge for my car. Just got the tranny installed back in the car after the re-build. where should I install the sending unit for the tranny temp gauge, it's a Digital gauge w/ an electric sending unit. Some people have said the pan, but I was thinking right on the output line for the cooler, currenlt I have AN fittings and braided hose for the tranny lines, just thinking of putting a T right on the tranny. Will this work???? I really dont want to drop the pan down and braze a fitting on........:)

I mounted mine in the pan on the GN. I have an electric sender, I think 1/2 npt that replaced the drain plug that I had installed at another time - I didn't braze it, it just bolts together as a kit, and has never leaked.. I had a fancy spin on type filter installed on another car (mounted inline with cooler line) that had a port for a sender, so I mounted it there on that car, and the temps were very similar to pan tranny temps (within 5-10 degrees..).

On my GN, with the sender in the pan, my temps are about 170-180ish with the tranny fully warmed up. I have a 3000 stall lockup convertor, nothing fancy. Other cars I have had with a smaller 9 inch, non-lock up convertor ran significantly hotter.

Good luck

Billy

thanks for the info Billy. I found a junction block that threads right into the tranny that has good flow and should work for what I need. I thought the temp readings should be pretty close to what the pan is. thanks .

thanks for the info Billy. I found a junction block that threads right into the tranny that has good flow and should work for what I need. I thought the temp readings should be pretty close to what the pan is. thanks .

Hello!

How did this configuration work for you? Do you have any pics?

Thanks

wow..old thread alert.

The setup has worked flawlessly for the last 6 years. heres a pic, you can kind of see what it is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 225
Line Pr. port on driver side. Can't see in the Pic.
4th/OD Pr. port on passenger side only has flow in 4th.

You want it in the return cooler line. The pan will not tell you exactly what the true temp is. You WANT to know what converter discharge temp is.This is also the lube temp. The return cooler line is the bottom one. This is the BEST place to locate it. Trust me, take an infrared reading of the pan then the return cooler line. You will see what I mean.

Bruce
WE4
PTS Xtreme

the oil temp in the pan is what you looking for

Not to start an arguement, but simply not true....Especially with aluminum pans.......After years of testing, we have proven this.

Bruce
WE4
PTS Xtreme