Where to go for an emissions chip?

DEL

Hello.

I'm trying to get my 87 Turbo T through Oregon's DEQ testing center. It's got a fresh motor, ported heads, 206 cam, but its got 30# injectors, stock turbo, etc.

The problem right now is it doesn't have a Cat. I figured I'd rather spend a few bucks on an emissions chip to see if it might get through. If not I'll get a cat on there.

I've taken it through with a thrasher chip, and an old Dynotech chip and it failed on both.

Just looking for a vendor that sells a good emissions chip.

Which test is your vehicle require to go through? Basic or enhanced? I reviewed the DEQ website and noticed that they are beginning to offer remote testing. Like the red light cameras, this is the next step to random remote sensing of tailpipe emissions. If the tailipe emissions is too high as you pass a remote sensing device, you'll probably receive a notice in the mail. How often do you take your car to the track? Is it mainly a street driven car? If the answer to the first question is very little and you mainly use the car on the street. Then I would suggest installing the cat on it. Why? It will pass all the time, you won't have to worry about remote sensing issues and when you do take it to the track, just remove the cat at that time or use a dump. Additionally, the Thrasher chip is an open loop chip (idles in open loop), so passing the Basic test at idle is next to impossible. The enhanced test looks like BAR30 (three test of acceleration from zero to 30mph to zero). A fairly rigorous test, especially if emissions are sampled throughout the whole range (during acceration). Just my opinion. But you may purchase an emissions chip from Scott231 (TSM modeerator) or Eric at Turbotweek. Personnally, I like my car to pass emissions all the time. My car failed (gross polluter) when I purchased it in 1995 and has not failed since.

Dave,

You will never pass emissions with a Thrasher as the chip is designed to run rich at idle (and htus more smoothly than a stock chip).

I do however, also sell emissions chips. E-mail me at Scott231@Juno.com and I can help you out.

Thanks for the info...I'm one of those guys who has gotten by with running Buicks by only adjusting boost, fuel pressure, and TPS...open loop closed loop, fuel maps...etc. it's all greek to me. :)

Scott you've got mail!

Ps. I definitely want to keep the test-pipe on if I can. I want the ability to run C-16 and race the car once a month over the summer.

I got an emissions chip from Precision Turbo a few years ago. My car will not pass without this chip. Just yesterday I passed at a "Test Only" station. It was a nail biter.. barely passed. I lower my fuel pressure and add the chip. That's all the tweaking there is because my plugs are never older than 12 months and oil/air maintained. In CA. no CAT is autofail. They won't even start the car as it fails visual. Oh, the smog tester did say that the breather in the r/s valve cover was a no-no. :)

86 GN with basic recipe.
868's
TE-44
Walbro 307?

Gotta love an 11sec street car with AC that passes CA smog!