Where to get tranny pan w/drain valve?

Steves87

I did the Spring cleaning on my GN and while I was taking off the tranny pan I installed a drain plug in the pan. These suck and the damn think consistantly leaks tranny fluid from the plug. Who makes a nice replacement tranny pan that already has a drain plug installed? Also what cost range?

I have always wondered about this...........why do tranny pans Not have a drain plug???
Can someone answer this?

TIA.

I thought installing one of those drain plug kits was the way to go. I did it and it has leaked ever since. My buddy is a trans. mechanic and told me AFTER that they leak usually. If I would have known that I would have either NOT installed it or bought an aftermarket one with a plug already installed.

The best trans drain plug you can put in is one you make yourself. I looked for a good spot to put one (inside clearance), then I bought a 1/2-20 nut and a 1/2-20 oil pan plug at the parts store. Drill a 1/2 inch hole in the pan, tighten the nut onto the bolt through the hole in the pan. (Nut on the inside, bolt head on the outside). I weld but it shouldnt cost more than $5 or a cold beverage to get someone to weld the nut for you. It doesnt need to be fully welded- just enough to keep it from spinning while tightening or loosening the drain plug. Make sure you buy a drain plug- not just a bolt, so you get the washer and all.

Total cost- $3 + welding and it doesnt leak a drop.

I have a stocker I bought with a 1/4" NPT pipe tapped hole in it with a brass plug. Never used it however.

Went to the $$$$$$ PTS shallow pans for my 2 rebuilt transmissions. Bottom feeder sump kit included.

Very nice product but the cost is $$$, $280 or so.

Make sure you tell them to put a gasket in the box too. :eek:

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
I have always wondered about this...........why do tranny pans Not have a drain plug???
Can someone answer this?

TIA.

It's done so mechanics will (hopefully) change the filter along with the oil. If the drain plug was there, the filters would likely not get changed. Thinking is: since you must remove the pan to drain the fluid, might as well do the filter too!

Originally posted by S10xGN
It's done so mechanics will (hopefully) change the filter along with the oil. If the drain plug was there, the filters would likely not get changed. Thinking is: since you must remove the pan to drain the fluid, might as well do the filter too!

If that is correct, it is ridiculess (sp)...........i would change my filter/fluid more often if it was not such a p.i.t.a.
Gotta like tranny fluid splashing in your face and running down your arm. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by S10xGN
No problem there. The quicky-lube joints have machines that suck the old fluid out so the pan doesn't have to be removed. :rolleyes:

We have stock pans with drain plugs

Mark is putting up a post today that we are selling stock pans with drain plugs. We must have 100 or so.
They will be cheap.
Either wait for the post to go up today or you may call shop for order and pricing. Cheap deal tho..........:)

Bruce
We4