Where to buy Chromoly for 9's, general Questions

Detomaso71

I am building a car for street strip, will runs Nines but will drive on street a lot.
Will probably go to cars shows and work in it more than race it as I work a lot weekends makes travel to race hard to do if far away.

Can a six point cage with the side bars angled down to attach by the front corner of the seat be purchased to fit or is all this stuff custom?
Is a six point good enough to hit below 9.5s?

How hard is it to angle the back bars through the speaker holes? I want to have the bar set up where it could be removed someday if needed without damage.

I wanted something that can allow the back seat to be used if needed for rare usage and the side bars angled down to get and out easier as then I dont have to snap the side bar in and out to get in.

Is this possible without breaking the bank and anyone around Cincinnati that can do this with TIG and Chromoly?

Thanks

A 6pt is a rollbar, not a cage.
A 6 pt will not get you thru tech to run 9's.
Shortening the side bars back to the seat drastically reduces it's ability to withstand a crash.
A removeable crossbar on the main hoop, for back seat access, will not pass, either.
Easy way to answer all the questions... The 2010 NHRA rulebook. It WILL be your "bestest friend". [And, the beast $10 U will spend on the project!]

Can a six point cage with the side bars angled down to attach by the front corner of the seat be purchased to fit or is all this stuff custom?

1-a six point is a roll bar only good to 10.0 ..if its done properly
2- its all custom..you could do it (have it done) but its not legal per nhra and the tech at the track could disallow the roll bar and restrict
it a as if no roll bar is in place (no faster than 11.50)
some do drop down (curvy) seat hugger door bars and if done correctly they do allow them

Is a six point good enough to hit below 9.5s?
no... you would need a 'roll cage' which has the bars that run across the door tops and top of windshield and down along the A pillar to the floor ...and a slew of other safety parts and an NHRA Comp license and for 9s ....the roll cage also needs to be certified by an nhra inspector (need to schedule and prepay for a date to have done) and must get re certified every 5 years , no cert label on the cage and the local tech should only allow it as if its a roll bar (no faster than 10.00)

How hard is it to angle the back bars through the speaker holes?
not hard for someone who does this , thats how mine are done

I want to have the bar set up where it could be removed someday if needed without damage.
the regal is a frame car so the roll bar(or roll cage) must be welded to frame and all points welded (door bars can be swingouts)
as to removal without damage , do you mean to the bar or the car ?.. being welded it will need to be cut ,its not going to just slide out the door (suppose you could chop the roof and remove it) , and then theres the carpet ,pkg shelf and floor and trunk pans would need repair at that time, doable yes , but still a project

I wanted something that can allow the back seat to be used if needed for rare usage and the side bars angled down to get and out easier as then I dont have to snap the side bar in and out to get in.
the rear cross bar behind seats is required to be welded per nhra ,ive seen many pinned removable rear bars so rear passengers can be accomdated but its not legal ... some techs do allow this on roll bars , on 9 sec roll cage it would never get NHRA certification

Is this possible without breaking the bank
cants say havent seen your bank , but if its nines your planning that bank needs some big $$$$ in it already , my buddy spent close to 5g on a chromoly roll cage with swingouts and a frame notch (nothings cheap near jersey ) i'd expect to spend 2500-3000 and up for a CM roll cage

im in agreement with chuck , best advice is get the NHRA rule book and read , theres much more $$$ in safety equip required for legal 9s than just the roll cage

....the roll cage also needs to be certified by an nhra inspector (need to schedule and prepay for a date to have done) and must get re certified every 5 years , no cert label on the cage and the local tech should only allow it as if its a roll bar (no faster than 10.00)

I wish the chassis cert was good for 5 years, but unfortunately Sportsman Certification is only good for 3 years:mad: