Where is the lowest cost of living and highest quality of life?

Pablo

Here is my situation

I did 5 years in the Marines, was stationed at Camp Pendleton (So Cal, just north of SD) and got out almost a year and a half ago. I decided to stick around rather than go back to my former home town of Miami Fl.
Got a job as a military contractor working on Marine Corps helicopters right next to my old unit. It pays pretty darn well considering my experience level and education. About on par with my friends that have jobs requiring a degree. Here is the problem... I still can't afford anything. I have no bills either. My apt is a hole in the wall that I pay nearly 1200 a month for with a roommate.

Now, I'm coming up on the end of my lease and a buddy of mine and I are looking at houses to rent (I have no ties to this area and don't want to be tied down with home ownership) The cost of renting a house is astronomically high. Even in this relatively podunk area an hour north of San Diego. You are looking at paying around 2000 a month for an average sized 3 bedroom 2 bath with 2 car garage.
Growing up in southern Miami (before the big boom in the area) a 3br 2 bath with 2 car garage was pretty much standard. I can't think of anyone in my neighborhood that had a very high end profession. Teachers, Cops, an HVAC guy, an air traffic controller, an auto mechanic...

Anyway, I think I need to move somewhere where I can have some personal space to enjoy life, hobbies, peace and quiet, and away from third world. Someplace where an average man can afford a home on some land with a big ass garage. I know these places exist and I know some of you guys live there. Gimmie some Ideas. I need to get out of here and Miami is pretty much dead to me now.

My buddy is in the same place as you, just finished his 5 years. He is now working off base though waiting for his wife to finish up her last year as a Navy nurse there.

Here in Cincinnati, Ohio you can get a decent house for $125K-$150K but the weather sucks. Very hot and humid summers and very cold winters:( Plus I think we are 10 years behind the rest of the country. (From what I'm told;) ) If I had a choice, I'd move to one of the Carolinas or Tennessee.

The good thing is I am only 3 hours from most of the Buick events, BG, Columbus, Norwalk, and Osceola plus we have 3 local 1/4 mile tracks.

Here is my situation

I did 5 years in the Marines, was stationed at Camp Pendleton (So Cal, just north of SD) and got out almost a year and a half ago. I decided to stick around rather than go back to my former home town of Miami Fl.
Got a job as a military contractor working on Marine Corps helicopters right next to my old unit. It pays pretty darn well considering my experience level and education. About on par with my friends that have jobs requiring a degree. Here is the problem... I still can't afford anything. I have no bills either. My apt is a hole in the wall that I pay nearly 1200 a month for with a roommate.

Now, I'm coming up on the end of my lease and a buddy of mine and I are looking at houses to rent (I have no ties to this area and don't want to be tied down with home ownership) The cost of renting a house is astronomically high. Even in this relatively podunk area an hour north of San Diego. You are looking at paying around 2000 a month for an average sized 3 bedroom 2 bath with 2 car garage.
Growing up in southern Miami (before the big boom in the area) a 3br 2 bath with 2 car garage was pretty much standard. I can't think of anyone in my neighborhood that had a very high end profession. Teachers, Cops, an HVAC guy, an air traffic controller, an auto mechanic...

Anyway, I think I need to move somewhere where I can have some personal space to enjoy life, hobbies, peace and quiet, and away from third world. Someplace where an average man can afford a home on some land with a big ass garage. I know these places exist and I know some of you guys live there. Gimmie some Ideas. I need to get out of here and Miami is pretty much dead to me now.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm also a helicopter mechanic but at North Island, and trying to get out of here as well. I don't know how you feel about Texas but that's where I want to go. Specifically the San Antonio/Corpus Christi area. I lived in San Antonio for a year before I moved to SD and loved it. I turned down a job offer in Corpus Christi a few weeks ago because I couldn't sell my house fast enough. And if I did I would've lost money because the market is just sh!t right now. At least your not tied down with a house like you said. I grew up in San Diego but have no desire to live here anymore. But everything is so damn cheap there. Plenty of land for your toys, really laid back, and the people are nice. It does get humid, probably like Miami, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

I was stationed in North Carolina for 3 years and loved it. Gas is also cheaper down south for some bizarre reason.

Few years ago was Bradenton /Sarasota FLA area. Bubble has bursted there in the last year or so.

I did my homework on that particular place and ended up moving there. Found a great job building firetrucks and ended up selling out in the peak of market few years later.

Had fun and cost of living was great before the boom.Looks to be getting back to normal now, so check it out.

Any of the major cities in Texas would have helicopter mechanic jobs.

Bell and Eurocopter are in DFW. Even Sikorsky is setting up a helicopter engineering facility in Fort Worth.

Corpus Christi has CCAD which is pretty much the center of the universe of helicopter overhaul.

San Antonio would have lots of aircraft mechanic jobs and probably has the best support network for ex-military.

I'm sure there are jobs in Houston, too.

As far of cost of living goes, Texas is pretty hard to beat. No state income tax but a home property tax that is about 3X higher than CA based on assessed value. House to house, the property tax is pretty close, though (A $600K house in California would cost less than $200K in Texas, so what you pay in property tax is about the same)

I live in the upstate of South Carolina. I actually live in Seneca, SC it's about 40 miles from Greenville, SC and 100 miles from Atlanta, GA. It's an average size city but not too big like the major city's. But hey there are 3 lakes within 20 mins, the mountains are an hour away and the beach is 4 hours. The average 3 bedroom 2 bath house around here is $125-150K. If your into renting I'm pretty sure you can rent a house like that for around $1000 per month. The only set back is if you lived in Seneca, you would probably have to drive to Greenville to find work like you currently do. Maybe I'm just homebound, but I can't think of any place I'd rather live.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Texas does intrigue me and so does something in the South East near the Appalachians.

Funny that we are thinking the same thing Jolly.

That CNNmoney article was very interesting. I was kind of surprised to see that Ohio had like 20 out of the 25 lowest cost places to live. Too bad about the snow.

I'm liking Texas...

Texas did appeal to me also.

It didnt seem to have the buisy, rush rush of here. I was really contemplating on moving out there right before I went to Iraq when I went to Fort Bliss. You would see the price of brand new homes and wonder why do I stay in CA. I feel you big time on the cost of houses and rent, but it is just my humble opinion, there is no place like CA, Florida was very close and Texas really appealed to me also. Texas may be the best bet, seeing as they do have the opportunities for what you do and you can buy a huge house, Da-- near a mansion compared to what you would get out here for the same price. Good Luck Pablo and if you stay let me know.

Texas and The Carolinas are the best places to purchase a home for a low price and the job market is good. The real estate bubble really screwed up areas like Florida, Arizona, Nevada, etc...

Washington and Oregon are still reasonable and it is very nice up there, but they do get a lot of rainy days. (example.... I have two homes in Vancouver, WA for sale for $185K ea. Newer two-story, 3bd, 2ba, 2-car). In So. Cal, an average 2bd, 1 ba, 1-car averages around $450K minimum (depending on the area).

Stay out of illinois taxes suck.Chicago raising taxes between 9 and 11 percent. highest in the country:eek: Weather sucks. Girlfriends parents live in Gilbert Arizona. Have not been there in the hot months.I was there when it was 104 degrees.I cant imagine driving my buick year round.If i never seen snow again it would not bother me. Snow sucks big time and the stuff is coming real soon:mad: I was told by my boss that my pay would not be the same as up here in chicago and i would have to pay for my benefits:eek: I have lived in chicago my whole live. Arizona would be a huge change.But i think i am ready. Any one live out there? How is it.Girlfriends parents say its great.They just want their daughter back.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Texas does intrigue me and so does something in the South East near the Appalachians.

Funny that we are thinking the same thing Jolly.

That CNNmoney article was very interesting. I was kind of surprised to see that Ohio had like 20 out of the 25 lowest cost places to live. Too bad about the snow.

I'm liking Texas...

I lived in Minneapolis for 17 years and moved to TX .......
Been here now for 8 and not planning to go back to the frozen Thundra. :eek:

You can purchase 2-5 acres in TX, with a nice home .......... all for what the price of a SF home in CA (I think)
Once you get to TX, it is very hard to leave, ESPECIALLY if you like to eat. :cool:

I still think the perfect place is around San Antonio or Austin.
Too far from Hurricanes, Out of Tornado Alley, Beautiful "Hill country", Very mild winters, No earth quakes and plenty of activities ........ a few floods once in a while, so build/buy on top of a hill. :eek:

Anyway, like they say here:
"I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could!"