Where is the 84/85 conversion to 86/87

mongoosetoo

I looked last night and searched the site for a conversion guide to 86/87 and can't seem to find it. I know it's here I've looked at it before about a year ago. Thanks, Brew

It's suppose to be plug and play--see my post about 3 down from this you may find it in there....

The post above is correct. The easier way to go (more expensive) is:

Caspers 84/85 wiring harness conversion adapter to the 87 coil module.

Caspers adapter which allows you to bolt on the 87 coil module to the 84/85 coil module bracket.

Cood luck- Brad

$1800 is a little high don't you think. you can get all new for under that price. Unless your talking the whole conv kit.

$1800 is a little high don't you think. you can get all new for under that price.

I dont think so buddy,just new sensors and relays would run you about $1000....

And yes im talking the complete shebang to turn your 84/85 TR into a 86-87 underhood.Turbo,headers,dp,intake,sensors,etc,etc.

I have (or will soon) a complete 87 Eng, trans, harness, and computer from a friend of mine. I just wanted to read over the process to make sure I'm not missing anything.

But while I have your attention, is there a huge difference in the camshaft from the 85 to the 87. I intend to use my short block 85 because it only has 400 miles on it. In essence I want to take my 85 short block and turn it into an 87.

Does anyone see anything that may cause me problems by doing this?

Thanks, brew

The only think I can think of is your oil drain tube hole wont be there like they are on the 86 87's. You can either drill a hole, or run it down to the oil pan, and tap a line into the side of it.

Like fbodlovr said, you'll have to find provisions for the oil drain. I would personally go with the 87 block though, just cause it's a little stronger.
You'll have to find a new place for the fuel filter as well, cant put it in the 84-85 location.

I converted mine. One often overlooke dintem is the heater core. The 86/87 has a different heater core so you'll need on of those as well as the 86/87 trans dipstick and tube. You don't have to run the oil cooler (I'm not right now).

If you have a complete 86/87 set-up then you should be well on your way. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Do not have to go to the 87 heater core
"S" hose will work did it on mine.
I did drill and tap my block in the correct location

hot air short block

I used a hot air short block on my car with no problems. Runs great with a 49 turbo, alcy. I ran a #10 AN fitting into the passenger side of the oil pan. I only think the difference in block strength shows up when you run sub 11 second quarter mile times.;)