where is park/neutral switch??

henschman

Hello, I think my park/neutral switch is bad... I've had a no-start condition for a while, and have ruled almost everything else out. I have a commander chip with anti-theft... you have to do a sequence that involves shifting into a forward gear and back into park or neutral to start it. It is acting like the anti-theft isn't deactivating. However, I'm not sure where the switch is. btw, it is a column shift. Let me know! thanks.

If you've got turbolink, directscan, or powerlogger, you can see the state of the P/N switch. Not sure if scanmaster shows it.... and not sure exactly where the switch is located. I DO know that I had to adjust mine recently, and the adjustment was made under the car on the linkage that hooks to the trans (on a floor shift car). Super easy to adjust, but I had my laptop hooked up showing me the state of the switch while I adjusted it. I'm guessing the column shift car does not have/need this linkage??

I just went through this...I hav a theft chip as well that probably works similar to yours.... Does you car start up, run for 2 seconds, ae then die? If it does, the problem is likely you are not disarming the chip.

If you key isn't turning in the ignition, then your steering column linkage might be out of adjustment. You may be physically be in park, but you linkage may not be lined up correctly and the ECM thinks it is in Reverse or something... Try to grab ahold of the steering column, and turn it with you hand to see if that is the problem.

So without telling everyone about how the anti-theft works on the chip, i think you can see where you problem might be, and why trying to disarm the chip doesn't work...YOU think you are in PARK, but the ECM thinks you are in REVERSE for instance..

Hope that helps,
NAte

The car won't even start. It chugs a little sometimes, but never kicks over, so i'm not even sure if this is the problem. Oh well, the p/n switch cost $10, so i'll put it on and see what happens. It looks like it might be kind of a pain to put on, though... has anybody done this before? If so, how did you do it? Thanks for all the comments.

the last one I did on my cutlass, you need:

1. patience
2. beer
3. small hands
4. did I mention beer?
5. a pillow in the floorboard and flexiblity of a nimble rat
6. did I mention beer?

yeah, it would help if they put it on the underside of the column instead of right over the top! I have a 6 pack of fat tire ready to go for tomorrow when i tackle it.

all the major auto parts companies sell them... I got mine at Advance. they are all around $10.

does the motor turn over or not. i am not sure what you mean by chugs. if the switch is bad or the linkage is misaligned, nothing will happen when the key is turned.

what about your starter or battery?hook some good cables to it and see if anything changes then check the voltage to the starter.check starter solenoid.ignition swith maybe?if ya changin the p/n switch change the other too while your in there