Where can I get heat shield powdercoated?

Snorman

Boosted.
And how much?
I got a great deal on a black powdercoated up-pipe and MAF pipe and put them on the car this weekend with an 8" K&N.
I like the look...I'd like to get my heat shield powercoated gloss black to match and do some nice underhood detailing to set it off.
TIA.
S.

the heat shield is designed to pull heat away from the turbo and release it into the air. Powdercoating will hinder this, I wouldn't do it, I'd leave it or get a DC tech Aluminum shield.

Never had a problem with my powder coated heat sheild. It wasn't for removing heat it wa for directing it away from the hood liner.

Give Keith a call he can powder coat it.

Originally posted by Brian Mc
the heat shield is designed to pull heat away from the turbo and release it into the air. Powdercoating will hinder this, I wouldn't do it, I'd leave it or get a DC tech Aluminum shield.

I never had a problem with mine either.

I don't think so, I think the primary reason for the shield is to SHIELD the hood/liner from the radiant heat of the turbo.

Anyone else agree?

HEAT SHEILD

I POWDERCOATED MY SHEILD AND RAN IT ON MY GN FOR A YEAR AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH IT, NOR THE HEAT ITS JUST A DIFFERENT KIND OF PAINT. THE SHIELD DOES ITS JOB WEATHER ITS PAINTED, CHROME, POWDERCOATED!

DOH!

like that sig.....I should use a version of that :

Total idiot for being a turbobuick parts vendor:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by SuperSix
I don't think so, I think the primary reason for the shield is to SHIELD the hood/liner from the radiant heat of the turbo.Anyone else agree?
Absolutely correct. Any piece of metal will partially reflect back the heat from a hot object.

For exmpl, on 86-87 TRs there is a small heat shield under the floor pan, above the cat converter, to keep heat away from the floor pan.

There is another small heat shield at the rear, protecting the short lengths of flexible fuel lines from the tail pipe heat.

Heat radiation (Infrared) behaves a lot like visible light: the most effective shield or reflector will be lighter colored (eg, chrome-like, aluminum-like, or white), all other things being equal.

I ended up having my turbo heat shield coated with jet-hot "sterling" ceramic coating (the chrome-looking coating).

Im a bit surprised that a powder coated turbo shield would hold up & not discolor or fadefrom the intense heat -- powder coat, for all its virtues, is not necessarily heat resistant. But, hey, I've never actually tried it in that application.

This'll just start another argument but what i meant was by using the DC tech shield it would be performing 2 functions, SHIELDING and drawing heat away from the metal turbo housing, not the exhaust gas driving the turbine, and ONLY SLIGHTLY keep the turbo cooler. It's not a big deal, but form and function can go together.:D

Mine is powder coated and never had a problem with it fading or changing colors. For the price diffrence I would just powder coat it or have it Jet Hot Coated....Those dc tech shields are WAY to much money for me....But hey I am poor...

... DC tech shield it would be performing 2 functions, SHIELDING and drawing heat away from the metal turbo housing, not the exhaust gas driving the turbine, and ONLY SLIGHTLY keep the turbo cooler. ..
Heat is transmitted by 3 main, separate & distinct methods: conduction, radiation, and convection.

It appears that the points of contact between the turbo & the shield are fairly small, therefore heat Conduction is minimal, so the shield will Not act like a large "radiator fin" and will Not conduct any appreciable heat away from the turbo.

A shield won't keep the turbo itself cooler ... a shield will actually keep radiated heat IN the turbo more effectively, which is what you'd want.

Retaining "Heat in the turbo", or more specifically "heat in the exhaust gas", is effectively what spins the turbine (hotter gas = higher pressure in the gas inlet side of the turbo).

Originally posted by BoostedBug
...For the price diffrence I would just powder coat it or have it Jet Hot Coated....Those dc tech shields are WAY to much money for me....But hey I am poor...
I had my turbo shield jet-hot 'sterling" coated, price was:

-- $20 to strip off old chrome (it was pitting & rusting).
-- $35 jet-hot coat
-- $12 return ship

pretty fair price overall, I thought.

Originally posted by tom h
I had my turbo shield jet-hot 'sterling" coated, price was:

-- $20 to strip off old chrome (it was pitting & rusting).
-- $35 jet-hot coat
-- $12 return ship

pretty fair price overall, I thought.

Is that similar to an "Argent Silver"? Where did you get this done?

Thanks
Mark

Originally posted by SuperSix
Is that similar to an "Argent Silver"? Where did you get this done? Thanks Mark
At the eponymous http://www.jet-hot.com
JET-HOT® SterlingTM
JET-HOT Sterling is a precisely engineered metallic-ceramic coating that offers major functional and cosmetic advantages when applied to either new or used headers.
This third-generation coating, which actually contains silver powder, has basically solved the age-old problem of how to beautify and protect headers and other exhaust components exposed to high temperatures.
JET-HOT Sterling is a deep, lustrous coating with RMS ratings (the measure of smoothness) far ahead of previous high-luster, metallic-ceramic coatings. The coating does not look precisely like chrome;
It's not nearly as specular as chrome, maybe more "satin-y" in appearance. Looks very nice

NOTE: Sterling color is not recommended for turbo headers, too much heat. JetHot2000 will withstand the heat, but comes only in flat black, grey, & dark blue color. I'm probably going to have my TR headers & x-over pipe JetHot2000 grey coated in the very near future.