when you hear detonation/how much knock retard?

Ross L

Just wondering. I am having some part throttle and full throttle detonation at anything over say 12lbs. I've read about people w/ 6-12 of knock retard. Can't you hear detonation at that level? I have a 86 SVo thats made "lots" of quarter mile passes w/ the knock sensor disconnected(too sensative). If i hear any pinging I let up. No head gasket problems,,,yet! I know I need a scan tool for the buick(getting one soon!) so I drive it real easy. FYI, 86 GN w/ 42.5's, 342 pump, red's 93 chip, EP front mount, 62mm throttle boby, TA-49 on 93 octane. No detonation w/ 100 oct unleaded. Any input appreciated.

Using a snap on scan tool,,,,,,,,

seems like 02's were in the .8xx's. The snap on only shows knock as "yes" or "no":eek: oh ,,, fp from 40-44 w/ line off.

You should be at 42 or 43 psi w/009's. Tune for 0 KR first and foremost. Tuning to O2's w/ 009's suck. I have tuned mine to run 18 boost w/42 psi line off. I have 0 KR. O2's in high 800's to low 900's but if I turn down the fuel pressure at all I start to get KR. I have been up and down the boost and fuel pressure ladder. I think that tuning to O2's is not reliable. That is why I am switching to a ME and an EGT gauge.
Just my experience.

inlet pipe is clean.

should I increase fp to 45(line off). Not that it matters but it has jacob wires, stock (original) coil pack. The car run great otherwise.

The amount of detonation at which you can hear it depends on your experience with these vehicles. Someone who has never owned a vehicle prone to detonation may not hear it until its in the double digits. Others with keener senses may pick it up at half that value. Regardless, as one person stated, if you can hear it it's bad...really bad.