when is it time to upgrade the IC

#'s I got from Ruggles, indicated his tests showed the stock cooler, [new], was about 58% efficient, and as miles piled on, that % went down.
He also mentioned that this was caused by:
1. Corrosion on/in the tubes and fins.
2. Loss of integrity in the fin to tube joints, due to weather, heat cycling, vibration, etc.
This was a discussion that occurred some 15-20 yrs ago. I can't imagine what the tests would show on a cooler, that had that many yrs on it....:eek:

I'm running 11.3:1 in all gears (wot). Have you tried pulling your timing back just a bit at a time? To be a little extra safe as of late, I've pulled the boost back to an even 20# in 1st and 2nd, and 19# in 3rd.

Thanks Dave. This makes sense. As of this moment, I'm still running an older Translator Plus with a check-valve boost controller. My current strategy is to keep timing and boost fixed and add fuel in 3rd gear. I'm running 17 deg. timing in all gears, about 17-18 psi of boost (whatever my check valve gives me), and significantly leaner F/A ratio (12.5 in 1st/2nd, 12.0 in 3rd) than you are running. Car runs really well with this type of tune - blows away the 10-year-old Nitto's as soon as boost comes up (need new tires!) with no knock.

Based on my past experience, it's probably better (i.e. more power) to run higher boost with more fuel. I'm going to be installing a MAFTPRO over the winter - that will be my chance to try a higher-boost, more-fuel tune.

Thanks for your help!

So if one had an alky system and was running e85 could you get rid of the stock ic and loose the restriction??

So if one had an alky system and was running e85 could you get rid of the stock ic and loose the restriction??
Someone on here turned their car into a hotair car by doing this and had great results. You may be able to search for it if your creative.

ks

I was following that thread but there was a problem with a hg leaking and fuel pump problems. The thread died after that and there has not been anything I could find recently. I don't ever here what kind of results he had other than turning the wg rod way out to keep boost levels down which means the factory ic was a huge restriction

Figured I'd bump this thread since I'm considering upgrading IC. I currently have a duttneck IC. It sure would be neat to see a new updated test, along with those cheap ass ebay kits too just to put that to rest. With an upgraded turbo on 25lbs of booost, where is the actual restriction in the IC, is it the necks or the core itself? To me the test results on vortex buicks seems kind of off. Even if the stock or the duttneck IC flow well enough, is there going to be enough surface area to cool the charge to justify even keeping it? I know alky will drop the temps, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having an intercooler to begin with.

ive run 30lb of boost in the stock intercooler/stock motor/stock turbo with alkycontrol and a single m15.car later ran a 49 at 27lbs of boost.solid 11's on a mild combo not carrying alot of weight.the dutt neck and alky work a little better on a mild combo.