when installing aftermarket speedometer?

nicky6

Dad: Leave the car alone!
when you install an aftermarket speedometer, what parts do i need to make the vss work? Caspers has a Vss Converter $78.95 and a Vss Vdo sender feed thru and dead end. This is to many options i need it simplified.

I'll look in the instrunction for the dash i made years ago. it has a automenter speddometer and i it uses and aftermarket vss also.

Not much help here, except to say I'd look more into the caspers converter. I'm using a stock VSS in the tranny of my elky with an autometer gauge. From the speedo I have it wired to the ecm. VSS->AutometerSpeedo->Ecm. Only speedometer can be calibrated for different rearend ratios & tire sizes by driving 2 miles. Although the speedometer is pretty acurate after calibrating, the ecm is seeing 3X what the speedometer shows....

when i built mine years ago, i got the vss form charged air systems and tony send me a set of thier instructions to help with the hookup. i'll try and find a scanner or i can copy and send them too you if you like.
dale

ok, according to the CAS instructions: pass the wires for the VSS thru the firewall grommet with the spedo cable, cut and strip the OEM VSS sensor wires. Mate the wires from the OEM sensor to the VSS adapter wires black to black and green to green. HTH
dale

OK I have everything working, sometimes. I learned that the VDO sender is 16k pulses per mile. So I drove the car two miles, it was only at 1k pulses on the autometer speedo. I continued to drive the car until it got to 32k pulses measured. Which is 16k per mile. The sending unit is working only about 10% of the time. Anyone have any ideals on the sending unit what might be wrong?

Thanks J