When Did Rust Stop Being an Issue with Cars?

jjlilly16

I promise, last thread I start tonight....

I was just thinking, when did rust basically become a thing of memory? I know the Buicks being over 25 years old are going to show signs, but seems to me rust just stopped around mid 1990's-2000. Was there a new technique applied to the metalwork? I have never seen any rust, even on the under carriage of my cars over the last decade. Is there a way to protect/coat these GN's to protect vs rust?

Mine is oily enough to keep rust at bay. More boost for a thicker application. :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My 2002 Escalade EXT has rust on the rockers/lower quarters that I need to fix.

My 2002 Escalade EXT has rust on the rockers/lower quarters that I need to fix.
Really? Last time at the dealership they were showing me the transfer case (I asked) when it was jacked up and I could not see anything anywhere underneath the car.
(Infiniti G35X)

Really? Last time at the dealership they were showing me the transfer case (I asked) when it was jacked up and I could not see anything anywhere underneath the car.
(Infiniti G35X)

I'm from buffalo so maybe we get more snow? My truck is covered in salt :(

I hear ya, polar Vortexs are no fun lol

My Escalade EXT is 12 years old :/

What year is your Infiniti?
2008, so only 6 years old but driven every day and through winters. Hit that "SNOW" button and its a tank that can go through anything.

I have a 2000 ford van rusting pretty badly in the rear quarters. My 2009 jeep also has rust bubbles starting in the rear quarter. I wish rust was no longer an issue!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1393886774.554307.jpg

Living in the rust belt sucks! lol Yeah i'll probably need to cut some metal out of my escalade if I want to fix it properly.

Plastic inner fender wells have made a big difference from what I see.

They still rust. Mazdas and Nissans are horrible. Ford E-vans and Dodge anything will rust after 3 or 4 years. I have already fixed rust in the dog leg area of a Dodge Charger when it was 2 years old. Chevy trucks make it 9 to 10 years before the rockers go.

here in MN, things start rusting when they are 5 years old.. there are newer body style (07ish) GM trucks with rotted cab corners and rear wheelwells around here..