Whats wrong with 84/85 hot air cars?

brittken

Crazy for Sonya!!!
I have noticed that when I tell people that I am buying an 85 ttype I get a weird look :eek: The look of "Dont buy an 85". :confused: "Buy an 86 or 87." I have never driven an 85 but looking at the specs between an 85 and 86 the intercooled cars were only about a second faster in the quarter. Also aren't the hot air cars quicker in stock form than a stock Montecarlo ss or 87 Olds 442. I know my 87 is very quick and extremely fun to drive. I have heard that parts for the hot air cars are hard to find and that they are hard to tune. I have also heard that "they are not that fast". Who cares!! Looking at some signatures on this forum some people have got thier hot airs very quick. I have owned an 87 Turbo T, and an 87 olds 442. I will say that both cars felt different in thier performance and handling but I loved the look and questions I received like "Is that a real 442 under the hood" or "are you sure that is just a 6 cylinder under the hood". It seems with the 84/85 hot airs all I hear is "get an 86/87". Do you hot air owners have the same impression? How should a stock 85 feel when you take it for a test drive. Does the transmission shift as firm as a stock 86/87. Does the shift between 1st and 2nd bark the tires? :rolleyes:

Dude, it is true that the intercooled cars are faster, and much easier to get screaming, but all the guys I have met, namely Lee Thompson, has proven that these cars can fly. These cars teach you to be handy and innovative, rather than just being able to buy a part off the shelf and go fast. I have much more respect for the hotair guys that get their cars fast.

Everyone Ive met that messes with the hotair cars are very helpful, great group of guys.

Matt

Hotairs respond to mods almost as well. Only problem is you're starting off with a smaller turbo, no intercooler, more restrictive intake and downpipe. If you're going to be doing big mods anyway, everything I mentioned will be upgraded so it really doesn't matter. With a chip, filter, and more boost, my dad's went 14.0@100mph, the average for a stock 87.

The 84-5s don't shift as hard on the 1-2 due to a different servo.

I think it's more fun to be different rather then follow the crowd. And have you ever wondered who "they" think they are. Just cause they never made a hot air fast doesn't mean it can't happen. Yes I have a lot of time and work done to my car, but I did this cause it could be done. Not for anyone but me. So, do what you want to do for you. Remember just cause someone says you can't just means they probably never tried. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Just for the record I think I can really improve on my times and will get more once I apply the alcohol. I can hardly wait till next season and if you have any questions at all just pm me and ask. I try to help as many folks as possible wanting to own a hot air.

:wink: Jamie is awesome! :wink:

Listen to Turbo6x2...if you want fast out of the box, and easy aftermarket applications, the 86 and 87 cars are the best bet...but, dollar for dollar, up until about 12.00 sec in the quarter, the cars cost nearly the same...you spend less on buying a hot air than you would on and IC car, but to make upf or power shortages, it'll cost you more to get those low e.t'.s with a hot air...so say you get an 86 t for 6500, and it runs 14's stock....an 85 t can cost as little as 1500 depending on the condition...say 3500 for a complete, running car, that can pull of a 15.8ish....sink 3500 into that 85 hot air, and you can get a 13.5 to 12.9ish 1/4 mile... total cost: 7000....

For the 86, at 6500, it will be running pretty smooth, and for a few exhaust components, fuel components and you've spent 500 in parts, all do it yourself, and boom....13.5 to 12.5 with exhaust, fuel, adjustable boost, and so on...all the easy stuff....I know i am not being exact, and there are so many potential variables, but to me, dollar for dollar, i think it is all the investment of time...it takes more time and nerve to get a hot air to go....you gotta be a hot air person....

I am going on 6 years of not having my car on the ground...not because it does not run, sole because I have had so many other factors in my life, and my only goal for my hot air is to go mid 11's and be able to win a few prizes at a show or two....For the $$$$, I have had college payments, rent, new car payments, and so on...now I got a mortgage!!!!! The buick is my back-burner project...little by little, piece by piece, I am putting together a mean little package...but I was never in a rush...I dont think I have ever met anyone quite like myself...those who usually buy parts for their cars, install those parts and drive the cars!!! I buy the parts, and there they sit in my trunk, in the back seat, where ever!!!

I want an 11.50...and I want to have fun, without blowing up the car...I want to put it all together once and not have to do it again...if I get that speed bug up my tush, then I will invest in an IC car, and keep the hot air for show, and a little friday night action at the local tracks...but my goals have never changed, in 6 years....

I have seen a hand full of hot air cars reach my goal, and it is an accomplishment...I want the honor of being in those ranks of people...i want to strike a little fear into those IC people, and take a few out with the mean little hot air....But like I said...it is a time investment more than anything...

If you are just going for bang for the buck quick buick...then get an IC car and follow everyone else...If you want a challenge, a true project, and a different color option on the pallet...try the hot air and have fun with it,a nd LEARN! i've learned so much in the last 6 years that I cannot even begin to list some of the crap I know without wanting to type 500 other related things at the same time!!!

Whatever you decide, think of the investment, and the overall goals. I fyou want the 11 sec GN, PM/email turbo6x2, or Lee Thompson, or even Marka Gallina...I have personally corresponded with all of these fantastic and extremely well educated individuals in the buick arena, and I can only tell you, you will NOT find better support than this group here....If you go to the IC boards, or general tech, everyone has the same answers and the same mods, and all the motors look the same after a while....Try something older, and at the current market rate, it might not be a bad investment to get a more rare and older GN/T-Type...as they get older, the $$ tags get higher!

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK......

Oh yeah...before I forget....if you did not buy the car yet, please send us pics and any info you find on the car...we can let you know any toruble spots, any common flaws and so on to help you out with the price and the search, should this car not be right for you!

Good luck!

John :) :biggrin:

i think the ic guys are mad cause they are not good enough to dowhat we do with the hotairs. and also lazyness i thinkios a factor aswell. ;)

Everyone that has responded to this post COULD HAVE bought a 86-87. When I bought my 85 T, everyone was saying why? Well I got a complete T-Top car for 150.00. I fixed the clipped cam sensor wire and it cranked :cool:
I met a guy named Scott Porter that had a "HOT" white 85 T-Type. Later he told me about Lee Thompson. Leeo has be the major contibutor to HOT AIR performance. I cannot leave out Ken Duttweiler. Ken and HOT ROD mag teamed up and had a j/stock Regal that ran 12.40 in 1985 :eek: . Yes, I did say 12.40's with out a intercooler. He put in his famous Crane 206 camshaft and used Corvette injectors. He also fabbed a 3 inch downpipe. His main issue has elctronics. What he learned from the HOT AIR made him King of the Buicks. Leeo has MAXED out his combo and is headed for the intercooled world:D. From what he is learned, "WATCH OUT" :eek: Leeo and Big Daddy are going to make some NOISE. Ms Jamie is working her combo and I suspect Leeo has given Jamie some tips to get next or on the 10's :D. Go Jamie Go!

If I had to do it all again, I would bought another HOT AIR!!!!

Chuck

Yes I owe a lot to LeeO, he's been a great source of information and always supportive. He's one of the best out there and one of the few who knew that going fast in a hot air wasn't out of the question just a matter of how hard you wanted to work at it. :cool:

I don't understand some people's negative reaction to the Hot Airs.
They are much more the same than different. My bone stock 84 is
not as quick off the line, does not slam into 2nd (but is still a nice
quick shift) or break the tires shifting. It still pulls well at the high end.
It ran 15.4@89 last year in Bowling Green in 85 degree heat and is
bone stock including original exhaust and GoodYear Eagle GT tires.
My stock 87 ran a best of 14.1@97. That was in 60 degree weather
and it usually runs a 14.4@95 in 85 degree heat. I feel the 84 on a
cool day with a good 60 foot time may be able to sneak a 14.9x.

bye, Ed
http://edchapman.tripod.com/cars.html

-- 84 T-Type WH1 15.4@89 bone stock original - runner up B-5 GS nats 2004
-- 87 T 14.1@97 stock daily driver
-- 87 GN bone stock original - 399/400 points BCA senior gold 2005
-- 03 GSX 14.9@93 bone stock daily driver