Whats this worth?

my85grandnation

85 Triple Threat
I am looking at this car locally and the guy is selling it for his father who is ill. The son doesnt know anything about these cars and with a little research he came back with that he thought it was worth 11k. I know its not worth anywhere near that much with the condition its in. Heres the details. 1987 Turbo T. Car has 60k original miles. The paint is faded on the trunk roof and hood. There are not to many dents in it and just a few small dings. There are scrathces and chips out of the paint in other places and some s***ty attempts to fix them. Needs one front and one rear bumper filler, as well as passenger side air dam. The interiors decent with some fading and its dirty, but should clean up nicely. Really dirty under the hood, and looks like the valve covers are leaking so there is grime on the engine as well. Undercarriage looks really good, and clean. The car does have a few things going in its favor. Its a factory moonroof car that doesnt appear to leak, has digital dash, and twilight sentinel. Here is a link to some pics.

Flickr: dthom8787's Photostream

Please let me know what you think its worth.
Thanks
Dusty

It really depends on how/who is going to repaint it. If you are going to have to pay 3-4k for the repaint I would say don't put over 7-8 in it. If you have friends in the body business or can do it yourself I would say 8-9k. It would be a nice car done if you had 11-13 in it. Looking at the engine I would say the car has 160,000 but the interior looks like 60,000. I would carfax it for sure.:wink:

nice car but definitely not worth 11k. if the mileage is correct that will help it out tho. i'd guess $7500 - $8500. good luck

Im waiting on a carfax right now from a guy. I believe the mileage to be correct, its just how hard was it ran for those 60k? I forgot to mention that the power master is on its way out by what the guy was describing to me.

in picture number 11, that looks like saw dust to me all over that part of the engine bay? how does it run?

buickbert

Well I just got back from driving it and its a little rough. The tranny doesnt seem to slip but it kind of clunks in and out of gear like its low on fluid, but they just got it out of the shop so all that stuff is supposed to be good so there is something out of wack with it. It has a posi rear end in it and when you go around corners you can kind of feel the rear end chattering a bit like its low on fluid or is on its way out. The idle seems pretty rough on it as well. When you hit the brakes the brake light on the dash comes on every time so somethings wrong with them. They are still stuck on thinking its worth 11K. They said they looked in hemmings and were going off the prices that they were going for in there. I dont think its worth more than $5000 with the way things are with it. With all that being said now what do you guys think I should offer for it.

well its worth what u wanna pay make the offer and sit on it they will find out what its worth sooner or later when its still sittin 6 months from now

Im thinking I will start off with an offer of $4500 which after seeing and driving it is all it is worth to me right now. I think it will really piss them off though. The only problem with me offering them low right now, is that Im the only person that knows the cars for sale as they havent advertised it yet. Well have to see what happens.

so what they will bite if the car sits heres mine i picked up 2 months ago 11k i offered 7k and won

Attachments

• turbo 2.jpg
    turbo 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 403
so what they will bite if the car sits heres mine i picked up 2 months ago 11k i offered 7k and won

Thats good hope for me. Your car makes the car Im looking at look like a run down beater. I will have to get a few more responses about the value of the one Im looking at that way if they think Im nuts for offering that low I can print it out ans show it to them.

Carfax came back and it shows only 60k miles. The only problem is that the first record of the car on carfax is from 96 when it had 17k on it. The interior is in good shape so I would believe the mileage to be correct from that, but looking at the rest of the car I would think 160k. I guess theres really no way to know for sure.

sale of car

I paid $9500 for a clean white turbo T with 61,000 miles. between 7500 and 8000.

Well I went and drove it again tonight and think the drivetrain is better than what I was first thinking. After what you have all said you thought it was worth, and researching what they have been going for on ebay, I offered them 5k for it. I told them that was all it was worth to me right now as it is not a car I have to buy as I currently have 3 and would have to sell one to get this one. We will see what happens. Thanks again for the help.
Dusty

I see you're a local Colorado guy. I will be selling my 87 GN soon. I have a bit of work to do to it but thought I'd touch base with you. Needs paint (the clear coat is peeling), interior is almost perfect, 130k, all stock except fully rebuilt tranny, 3" SS THDP with high flow cat, brand new Walbro pump, bluetops, new hotwire, new alternator, new battery, new water pump, new powermaster, new accumulator, 3" single shot exhaust, stock wheels, TE-44 turbo that needs rebuilt. Runs strong, was my daily driver until the fuel pump went out and I was too busy to work on the car at the time so I just bought a different car instead.

I haven't even thought to offer it for sale yet but if this offer you're working on doesn't go through, let me know. I'll beat what they are asking and you'll get a better deal I am sure.

5 grand

there is an ass for every seat just dont put your's in this one

11 grand put down the pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

I'll offer up the contrasting view..... I think the values thrown out are really low. I didn't look at the pics until after I read the complete thread. I was impressed. The engine compartment just looks dusty, like the hood was up during storage. The interior is very nice. I think that is a $5k car if it has 160k miles. So what if it needs paint, I'd rather have it done myself than buy a car and have to correct someone's mistakes. I wouldn't blink at offering $8k for that car, assuming the tranny and rear end are fine.

Under the hood is not just dusty, it has leaky valve covers and possibly a leaky intake from the looks of it so there is grease and grime caked on everything. The drivetrain feels pretty good, but it felt kind of slugish so Im not sure what its needing. I know it recently had plugs and wires put in but it still needs something. My 100k mile 85 GN that is stock other than a chip currently has leaky injectors so it runs bad and I know it is faster than this 87 that Im looking at.