whats the trick with the rubber oil pan gasket

BIGPSI

this is the second motor i have used a rubber oil pan gasket and they both have leaked! is there a cork available? i have gently snugged it down with a 1/4 hand ratchet,i thought it was fixed but still leaks. what is the trick?

thanks guys. i will get a cork one. do you have to jack the motor up to do this in car?

No, might have to rotate the crank to get the throws to clear when removing. Sometimes you luck out and don't have to.

I used the rubber one, put a bead of the right stuff around the pan set the gasket on let it set up for 20 min then a bead on the gasket and installed the pan, snugged it up finger tight let it sit 20 min then torqued it to spec no leaks! That pesky rear main was the bain of my existence.............

Now all I have left to do is the front cover seal but its not leaking that much just annoying, the rear main was frustrating as hell when it dripped on the cross over.

I'll look after the cover seal when I install my new roller cam :biggrin:

Rubber gaskets require a DRY, OIL FREE mounting surface so they won't slip or split when tightening the bolts. Also, the oil pan is designed so that you tighten the bolts tight...not "snug" like a cork gasket requires.

Rubber gaskets require a DRY, OIL FREE mounting surface so they won't slip or split when tightening the bolts. Also, the oil pan is designed so that you tighten the bolts tight...not "snug" like a cork gasket requires.

to add a bit

i cleaned the pan with and block with alcohol and dried it. i got two years out of mines and not a single drip.
Good luck dude.

I was sick of the same leak too so,I just replaced my rear main seal I decided to use no gasket and use "the right stuff".No leak no fuss never have to worry about it again!:D

Turbo1dr has the right idea, since last year when I replaced the rear end seal, I also used the rubber pan gasket, dry, and oil free. I also used a continuous one piece of string to every other hole to hold the gasket in place, and having both of the end strings exiting toward the pans by the transmission ends. Remove the string as you place each bolt back onto the pan. I didn't snug the bolts but I did tighten them tight without squishing the gasket out of proportion.

i had the surface totally clean and oil free, wiped it all down with paint thinner. still leaks. the rubber felpro is a POS!