whats the main reason for knock

riviera

Had my car out last nite after installing scanmaster I was showing 3 degree knock I'm running 93 at 15lbs is it too much boost or low octane or something else

It was in the car when I bought it the gut said is a racing chip and its burned by anderson performance in maryland but its desigend tgo be more agressive on the timing not sure what he ment

what was your 02, (hit recall and mode button and youll see the lowest o2)
o2 reading would give an indicator is fuel is an issue
not having enough fuel can cause KR from leaning out
you could also go lean if you dont have enough fuel in the tank and the pump sucks air from hard acceleration ,
always try to have 1/2 tank of fuel

when did it knock (hold recall and then mode button and youll see the MPH)
you could get kr at shift and driveline can cause knock as can the downpipe hitting the frame

how old was the 93
gas with ethanol looses about 1 octane point per month and also note ethanol blended 93 should be consumed within three weeks, its not good for low use vehicles
maybe you didnt get 93 from your gas supplier

what timing are you running at WOT ... too much and youll get KR
if its a racing chip its not for 93 fuel or low boost (should have too much fuel for 15psi)
get a good street 93 chip in there before you do some damage

Lean on fuel under boost = knock

Do you have means to view your oxygen sensor values?

What's your base fuel pressure?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

after his last post
i think the racing chip is the reason .... too much timing for 93

I'm going to check on the o2 reading.were should the reading be? Also I went back and read the guy text that I bought the car from he did say its a racing chip not street and strip he also said 110 octane but the funny par is he didn't have a knock gauge or scan in the car

110 chip could have 28 degrees or more timing

heres a simple octane vs suitable timing chart from fullthrottle

Octane - (WOT spark advance degrees: low gear/high gear)=
1 - 91 (17/15)
2 - 92 (18/16)
3 - 93 (19/17)
4 - 96 (21/19)
5 - 98 (23/21) <---- Translator Plus, Alcohol Injection
6 - 104 (25/23)
7 - 108 (27/25)
8 - 108+(29/27)

I'm going to check on the o2 reading.were should the reading be? Also I went back and read the guy text that I bought the car from he did say its a racing chip not street and strip he also said 110 octane but the funny par is he didn't have a knock gauge or scan in the car
glad you find that funny

funny thing is he doesnt own the car anymore , you do

get a street chip in there , it wont feel as bad ass as the race chip but you may get to drive the car a little longer before you blow it up

glad you find that funny

funny thing is he doesnt own the car anymore , you do

get a street chip in there , it wont feel as bad ass as the race chip but you may get to drive the car a little longer before you blow it up

Agreed, you are going to end up replacing some gaskets in the near future if you don't switch out the chip for something more 93 octane friendly. If it's adjustable, you might be able to pull enough timing out of it. Considering I've never heard of the company who burned the chip, I am going to assume it's not adjustable. TurbTweak is the guy to call. Bob Bailey (iirc?) also burns chips.

110 chip could have 28 degrees or more timing

heres a simple octane vs suitable timing chart from fullthrottle

Octane - (WOT spark advance degrees: low gear/high gear)=
1 - 91 (17/15)
2 - 92 (18/16)
3 - 93 (19/17)
4 - 96 (21/19)
5 - 98 (23/21) <---- Translator Plus, Alcohol Injection
6 - 104 (25/23)
7 - 108 (27/25)
8 - 108+(29/27)

I have a TT chip and it's burned 93 oct 23/21 timing and 23/25 boost with alky? Doesn't match that table.

i dont get your point, it matches
the table shows 23/21 for alky injection or the equavalent octane of 98 race fuel

Agreed, you are going to end up replacing some gaskets in the near future if you don't switch out the chip for something more 93 octane friendly. If it's adjustable, you might be able to pull enough timing out of it. Considering I've never heard of the company who burned the chip, I am going to assume it's not adjustable. TurbTweak is the guy to call. Bob Bailey (iirc?) also burns chips.
Never heard of Billy Anderson ???