Whats the diff between a brf 200r4

rtseast71

I bought a 87 we4 it came with a spare brf 200r4 was wondering what the diff. the car has a reg 200r4 in it. Is brf better?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If you bought a 87 turbo regal it should have a brf in it. Get under the car and check the metal tag on the tail of the trans and it should say brf. If it doesn't put the spare you have in it.

The one in the car is does not have the tag on it. Why is the BRF better? I'm new to these cars don't know much about them

I bought a 87 we4 it came with a spare brf 200r4 was wondering what the diff. the car has a reg 200r4 in it. Is brf better?

These car came with a yellow tag written on the tag BRF which indicates it's a 2004r

You can look underneath your car and see if the transmission pan cover looks like the one on the inserted photo bottom left picture marked THM200-4R

There are no different types of 2004r transmission, but one can strengthening the 2004r. You can you start to read on the "Transmission Talk column"

Since this is your first TR you should start to read about these car, and a good start is the "General Turbo Buick Tech, Info For New Turbo Regal Owners"

Attachments

• Different Transmission Pans.jpg
    Different Transmission Pans.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 490
The one in the car is does not have the tag on it. Why is the BRF better? I'm new to these cars don't know much about them

I think the BRF has the better valve body, converter, servo, and governor.

The BRF you got with the car is probably already toast thus the reason why it's out of the car and was given to you as spare.

There are no different types of 2004r transmission

BS. They all have the same overall length and mounts, etc. but there's a TON of different calibrations out there and internal differences/changes from year to year, etc. There are even different cases, I have a BOP only 200-4r out in the shed.

It is true you can build a performance 200-4r out of almost any core, but the later cores benefit from some internal changes and the performance calibrations are a better starting point and will require less calibration effort to be worth a damn (in most cases). The color of the aforementioned "yellow tag" will vary from year to year also. Odds are good that the spare BRF is the original and the previous owner had a different trans built (or sourced a junkyard unit). If the one in it works good, I wouldnt touch it, if it's a slushbox and/or ever needs rebuilt, start with the brf. If the tag on the other trans is missing it could have almost anything in it and the only way to know would be to drop the pan and governor cover. The casting number on the servo might be a clue though as well as the electrical plug on the drivers side. Should have a 4 pin connector and all 4 pins actually in use. Unplug the harness and look in the connector, if theres a blank cavity in that connector it means you aren't using the 3rd gear pressure switch and the ecm isn't aware when it's in third gear (most chips have different timing in 3rd). I might be mistaken on this but i'm pretty sure the 84-87 TRs are the only ones to ever get the 3rd gear pressure switch/wiring.

BS. They all have the same overall length and mounts, etc. but there's a TON of different calibrations out there and internal differences/changes from year to year, etc. There are even different cases, I have a BOP only 200-4r out in the shed.

I guess you didn't read his first starting thread of him saying " I bought a 87 we4 it came with a spare brf 200r4 was wondering what the diff. the car has a reg 200r4 in it. Is brf better?

With that statement GN came from the factory with a 200-4r , and that is why I wrote "There are no different types of 2004r transmission, but one can strengthening the 2004r. You can you start to read on the "Transmission Talk column"

Thanks anyway for the info