What's the best wax for original paint '87 GN

copo

Guys,
I own a '87 GN and it still has the original factory laquer paint that has spider webs on the hood and a bit on the fenders. I have no plans to strip it yet, but want to know the best wax I can use to get rid of the grey cloudy black paint. I used a liquid paste on a buffer and it came back but it needs more work. A friend of mine mentioned 3M Finesse II 05928. I've found posts here that some have used 3M Imperial glaze and Meguiars NXT Tech wax.

I've used lots of different brands, from GM, Meguiars, Blue Coral, Mothers, Liquid Luster etc :mad: and the problem is that the rain and washing rubs the wax off :mad: . And I drive it in the rain so I can't stop that.

Try several coats of wax.

Get/borrow a rotary buffer and get some of 3M's microfinishing compound. Be VERY VERY careful with it (burns through paint easily) and be patient because it will take a while, but your paint will look as good as it possibly can after using it. Then wash the car to get rid of the residue and seal it with a few coats of wax.

3M perfect-it III, Black container, with a rotary buffer, Then their hand glaze, then a good coat of wax. My car that I have in Texas has original paint
on it also.Mine was cracking also. this made my car look like new again. no more spyders. hth. Of course it will look alot better if you took 1500 grit sand paper and wet sanded it before you did all of the buffing. As long as you have enough clear left on the paint to sand !!!!!! :cool:

Puddin

As long as you have enough clear left on the paint to sand !!!!!!

factory paint was single stage. most waxes are designed to come off after a few rains. Use the 3M 05928 it will compound and glaze in one step then apply the 3m liquid wax part # 06005 put on a few coats. Do not do in direct sunlight and maek sure the surface of the vehicle should also be cool. If you can feel the spider webs with your nail it means they are more than a few mils deep and the factory paint was only applied to about 4 mils. no matter how much rubbing you do the crazing will still be there. Laquer paint when sprayed is about 90% solvent and 10% solids so over a period of time all the solvent evaporates make the paint look like a dry lake bed.