whats next?

daddyed73

I have a 85 wh1 the engine rebuild is just about done(finally) and the rebuilt tranny is waiting at the shop to get droped in with the motor when the engine guy finishes up next week. so no im wondering what i should do next? just wondering where ill get the biggest bang for my buck. i was gonna go i/c but i think im gonna stay true(hot air). heres what i got going on now.

totally rebuilt motor:
balanced assembly
new push rods, valve guides, ect.
new wesco forged pistons/balanced rods
balanced and ground crank
machine 3 angle valve job
machine match/port and polish cylinder heads and intake manifold
install full roller rockers
install upgradded cam
powdercoat intake, valve covers, oil pump housing, and timming chain cover exterior gm silvr/gray color
paint block and heads black

so whats next????

sounds like the engine is all set now you just need to help it breathe, I would start with the a down pipe and hooker cat back you can get them both for under 450. Then since our headers are junk, at least the pass one is if you want to spend the cash and since the motor is out get a good set of atr ss headers for about 900 they come with both headers cross over pipe and down pipe. I'm in the process of putting a front mount i/c on my car right now that will look pretty stock and has so far cost me less than 50 bucks without the tubing. I will post pics when i get it done because i will be trying to sell a kit in the future it will be half of what people are paying for ones these days and the i/c is a dealer item and no its not a powerstroke, toooo much work compared to this setup. As far as what else to do you can go bigger injectors and an upgraded turbo that should be enough for now to put a dent in your wallet.

If your trying to stay "hot air" then exhaust and cold air intake is the way to go. What turbo/injectors/chip are you running? Upgrade the fuel system yet? Thought about alky? Sounds like you did a hell of a job on the engine man :cool:

85 ttypewh1 I am interested in hearing more about this intercooler setup your doing:D

I'm finishing up painting the parts and taking pictures hopefully it will be together this weekend. I cant stop working on cars, i have a problem.:D The setup is looking pretty good though it is mounted in front of the rad and the inlet and out let straddle the sides of the rad. And to help cooling i left the stock fan and installed a 2200 cfm puller fan on the backside of the rad and its hidden by the stock fan shround. I will post pics when its done.

i havent done anything to the fuel side yet, i was kinda waiting to get the motor back in first. i was going to do a cold air kit first off, and then more than likely ill work on the fuel system. im still kicking around the ideal of going to a i/c, but still not decided. thanks for the help ill post some pictures of the motor when i get them.

do a search on cold air, i have read in a few places that it is not worth the money. I would do the fuel sys now because racetronix is having a sale til dec 31 on the hot wire and 340 pump its just 160. i have priced them and he's the cheapest by far, i just ordered mine a few days ago along with a adj. fuel reg from poston buick for 104, again the cheapest and its all billet. I will go back and read your specs and see what else i can suggest.:)

Ok, read your specs again, here it goes. Get all your gauges before you start the car Ie. fuel psi i got mine from summit its electric and mounted on my ttop pillar pod, get a tach just as a reference i would not waste your money on a shift light and mem recall just get something that will let you know where your at, get a temp guage for water, oil psi, knock, air/fuel, and a boost vac combo gauge. get a 3 gauge holder that is molded into the a pillar, a twin console pod, and if you have ttops a ttop pillar pod got mine from postonbuick.com get a 14 inch 4 inch inlet k&n from summit less than 50 bucks. 340 pump with hot wire, adj reg, 2.5 hooker cat back, down pipe, headers since the motor is out much easier. you can do all this without a chip so i would not buy a chip yet until you figure out if you are going to do the turbo and injectors, no sense buying 2 chips. but just with this stuff and good tune you should be going pretty fast. have fun talk to you again.