Whats it like out your way?

GNandGS

I'm still here!
If Washington DC area is considered "northeast" on TB, what feedback might I get?

Within say an hour of DC, what states are car friendly?
By car friendly would this include test pipes and lack of dyno emissions?
Cost of living thoughts?
Tax tolerable?
Schools?
Climate?

If you dont live in the Washington DC area, thats ok, Im thinking of commute distance primarily but doesnt HAVE to be.

Danke!

GNandGS said:
If Washington DC area is considered "northeast" on TB, what feedback might I get?

Within say an hour of DC, what states are car friendly?
By car friendly would this include test pipes and lack of dyno emissions?
Cost of living thoughts?
Tax tolerable?
Schools?
Climate?

If you dont live in the Washington DC area, thats ok, Im thinking of commute distance primarily but doesnt HAVE to be.

Danke!

****I live in a little suburb called Montgomery Village (Maryland) which is about 20 miles outside of DC. This state is not car friendly by your standard above (IM240 emissions testing, very strict Inspection policy for titling a car, etc..). At least in my area, cops are pretty strict and don't hesitate to give equipment violations.

Cost of living is amongst the highest in the nation. In the county I live in, a 3 bedroom townhouse is $400,000, and a little 1-2 bedroom condo might be $200,000. Rents are very high. The schools are amongst the very best in the nation in Montgomery County, and also in several suburbs in nearby Northern Virginia (Mclean, Fairfax, etc..). The population in general around here in my part of Suburban Maryland (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) is the most educated in the nation in terms of having college, and advanced college degrees - incomes are high here, but so are costs in general. Climate has both extremes - very hot and very cold. Depending upon the suburb you live in, taxes can be very high. If you have a business, business taxes and fees are high. Property taxes are very high due to cost of housing...

I like it here, as I feel safe, and we have excellent services, parks, entertainment, etc..

I've heard parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia (both are reachable within 1 hour of DC) are much more car friendly, and the overall cost of living is lower. Many people commute from there to here in MD/DC due to lower housing costs, etc.. out there.

That's about it.

Billy

Thanks for the feedback.

You mention the pay is higher typically and I suppose it would have to be, but dang, Im not sure I can market myself enough for the housing! yowza.

Seems like $400K would by you the priveledge of extra space between neighbors. lol.

I need to do more research on what I might be able to bring down for pay in that area before I can know much more, but it sounds like Montomery isnt for me.

Car stuff is a whole other thing. :mad: Kansas has some advantages in that area.

Wife wants out of here. Washington DC? Dunno, but its been mentioned so I gotta look.

Thank you!

GNandGS said:
Thanks for the feedback.

You mention the pay is higher typically and I suppose it would have to be, but dang, Im not sure I can market myself enough for the housing! yowza.

Seems like $400K would by you the priveledge of extra space between neighbors. lol.

I need to do more research on what I might be able to bring down for pay in that area before I can know much more, but it sounds like Montomery isnt for me.

Car stuff is a whole other thing. :mad: Kansas has some advantages in that area.

Wife wants out of here. Washington DC? Dunno, but its been mentioned so I gotta look.

Thank you!

****Washington DC is even more expensive than out here. The nicer neighborhoods in places like Adams Morgan, etc.. are safe and nicer communities to live in, but housing is in very short supply, and very very expensive. A one bedroom condo might be $1500 a month rent or more, and there is a serious problem with parking down there. It might cost an extra $400 a month for a parking space (that's A parking space, singular), unless your development has a garage, etc.. You don't really need a car if you live downtown, and many people walk or use cabs, public transportation to get around - kinda like parts of downtown New York.

I live in the suburbs because I like the green, the parks, and the open space - it's also MUCH cheaper. Unless you plan on moving to the outer suburbs like Frederick or Howard counties, you would be very hard pressed to find a single family type home for under $300k, and even that would be an older, smaller one, with running water, a toilet, and that's about it... If you want a more modern home that would be considered "nice" by most with space between neighbors, expect prices more along the lines of $500-750k.

It seems wacky that people moving into the area making $100,000+ a year household income would be renting or living in a small apartment, etc.. but that's how it has gotten in some parts. Things were much more affordable 6-8 years ago, and that's when I bought my home, but then the real estate market just exploded to ridiculous prices - and people that make really good money for anywhere else are just getting by here now with an interest only mortgage, a nice leased car, and not much left over for beer and wings, etc...

If interested, you should look at some online real estate sites to see what you can afford, etc... Zip codes to look at would be: 20854, 20855, 20850, 20886. Also look into counties Frederick, Howard, Garrett, Baltimore, etc.. It will give you a better idea of whats around, prices, etc..

I bet your wife will be very impressed if you print out a few examples of prices, and services in this area, along with school info, etc.. ! :) Always good to keep the wife happy!!! :)

Billy

Thanks man! Havent checked those areas but thats going to be very helpful.

Ive had my hands full looking at the jobs using "Washington, DC" as a location keyword, THEN googling the town listed for the job so I know where it is.

<grin> Not knowing the geography hurts! After I read about the job, then find the town, I cant help but wonder if that area "sucks" and what OTHER area within commuting distance would be better. Boggles the mind.

I may have started off backwards. Shoulda started with the zips you provided! What if one works in a state other than where they live? My only experience with that many years ago wasnt too bad but made taxes kinda complicated.

Just submitted a resume for Rockville, MD job....