whats in Denatured alchy?

T

Turboaddict

what ingredients are in denatured alchy? Is methanol in it too?

Ethyl alcohol with a small percentage of methanol added.

Basically ethyl drinkable alcohol with toxic methonal (plus a few other chemicals) added so it's not drinkable.

Can people behind you smelll this stuff when you use it and what is it like. Race gas smell maybe? Just curious as i cant wait for mine to come in.:D

Yes you can smell it after a good run on the street. Not a good thing to be using near DWI checkpoints I might add......

Smells like a sweet alky. not sure what they use for a base???

I bet some highly refined shine would work well too!

:)

OMG! This stuff DOES smell out the exhaust!! :D First time tonight. Smells almost like race gas.

So far 22 degrees timing, 24 psi boost, 91 octane pump gas, 1 degree or less retard in a couple blips otherwise ZERO knock!! 380 gps of air flow. :D

That's 5 degrees more timing, 4 psi more boost so far going to dual nozzle and denatured. More left in it.

She's starting to fly now! Track visit Friday night hopefully.

What kind of octane does this stuff make 91 octane pump??

Can you say 9 psi more boost than without alchy not to mention more timing?? Hehe! Can you say a good extra 100 hp??

Man this is like a kid waiting for Christmas. I wish mine would get here kwik like.:D

So Chad, you have seen a significant advantage to denatured over isopropyl? Just curious what your experience was with iso.

Tonights results in my signature. I found dual nozzle setup with denatured over isopropyl so far to be good for another 5 degrees timing and 4 psi boost.

Still tuning.

Ok, you've convinced me, where can I find denatured? Will they have it at Home Depot? Paint Stores? Don't make me resort to trying the Everclear thing :D

Thanks Chad :)

I am about to send my kit back to Steve C. for upgrades, afterwards I will invest in a little denatured and try that out. That's a pretty good boost gain over rubbing alcohol :)

I called a local chemical company here about getting some denatured as the regular hardware/paint stores aren't alowed to sell the stuff. They mentioned that it would have a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% methanol. Does this sound ok?

Thanks,
Paul.

Yeah Chad!! Congradulations on breaking into the 11's! That is great news, and pretty exiting. I'll bet that you almost jumped out of your seat when you got the time slip! :)

Questions, did you try the Denatured before going to the dual nozzle set-up? If so what were the results with the single

Also, are you running 27* at wide open throttle? What was your 60' time there? I remember that you were running a trans brake, are you still using this? Running slicks?

Come on guy, give us the information. It's not like it's top secret, and once you post it, you have to hunt us down, and kill us, Right?:cool:

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
Yeah Chad!! Congradulations on breaking into the 11's! That is great news, and pretty exiting. I'll bet that you almost jumped out of your seat when you got the time slip! :)

Questions, did you try the Denatured before going to the dual nozzle set-up? If so what were the results with the single

Also, are you running 27* at wide open throttle? What was your 60' time there? I remember that you were running a trans brake, are you still using this? Running slicks?

Come on guy, give us the information. It's not like it's top secret, and once you post it, you have to hunt us down, and kill us, Right?:cool:

Thanks! :D Yes, it was exciting especially since this was with 91 octane pump gas, alchy injection, and 22 degrees WOT timing.

I've never tried the denatured with a single nozzle. I had an old SMC kit updated to the lastest stuff (brass parts, new pump, braided lines, boost assist removed, etc). Old kit wasn't setup for it. Firgured I would go to the dual nozzle setup at the same time.

Chip was an Extender. 22 degrees WOT timing. I didn't use the trans brake but my car has one installed. Kept snapping "eye" bolts on the alternator. Stopped using it. I did a 5 psi foot brake launch with the "launch assist" turned on in the Extender chip. Transbrake in the past has dropped my 60ft time from 1.73's (5 psi launch) to 1.66's (10 psi launch) with TE-44 turbo. Now have PTE-51 which is a little on the big side for a stock D5 convertor (little laggy but pulls harder on the top side). "Launch assist" in the Extender chip dropped my 60ft time from high 1.8's down to 1.70 both at 5 psi launches. Not too bad huh? 1.6's are there with more boost on launch. I was running slicks since street tires would be smoldered and can't get a consistant base line. Otherwise I was running exactly like I do on the street with pump gas in the tank. I think a 3K stall would really pick the 60ft times up.

Last year I ran 12.0's with 26 degree Lubrant chip and Cam 2 112 with 22 psi boost. This year I installed a TE-51, Translator, 3.5" LS1 MAF, 3.5"x9" K&N, Extender chip, and dual nozzle SMC kit. Now running 11.80's with pump gas with more tuning left. With race gas and higher timing chip it should be faster. Plus at the track this last time I was running on the rich side (830-800 O2's).

My transmission is getting a little tired too. My 1-2 shift when in Drive will hit 6K! When id OD it's about 5,700. Way to high for the stock cam.

Great Denatured prices

Mikel (and any other interested alchy nuts) - I've found denatured in 5 gallon cans at Ace Hardware stores here in Orlando for only $19.00. That's $4.00/gal. They only stock one gallon on the shelf for about $9.00/gal but I asked the manager if he could get it for me in 5 gal cans. He checked his national order catalog and ordered it for me. Came in in about a week. He tells me it should be available anywhere in the country if you'll ask the owner/manager to check his National order book. Hope this helps.

Re: Great Denatured prices

Originally posted by Rayk
Mikel (and any other interested alchy nuts) - I've found denatured in 5 gallon cans at Ace Hardware stores here in Orlando for only $19.00. That's $4.00/gal. They only stock one gallon on the shelf for about $9.00/gal but I asked the manager if he could get it for me in 5 gal cans. He checked his national order catalog and ordered it for me. Came in in about a week. He tells me it should be available anywhere in the country if you'll ask the owner/manager to check his National order book. Hope this helps.

Awesome! As soon as I get the car back together I will hit up an Ace hardware, thanks a million.