What’s happening with my oil pressure?

harris48cars

I have great oil pressure. Normally 70 psi at cruise. 50 psi+ at idle. Yesterday I noticed while cruising that when I let off the gas quickly, my op dipped quickly to 30 psi and then jumped immediately back to 70psi. Never seen that before. I did this several times with the same results. If I let off the gas slowly the op stays at 70. I will check the gauge. But does anyone have any thoughts? Engine is quiet and runs great

I have great oil pressure. Normally 70 psi at cruise. 50 psi+ at idle. Yesterday I noticed while cruising that when I let off the gas quickly, my op dipped quickly to 30 psi and then jumped immediately back to 70psi. Never seen that before. I did this several times with the same results. If I let off the gas slowly the op stays at 70. I will check the gauge. But does anyone have any thoughts? Engine is quiet and runs great
Engine rpm not road speed is going to dictate rpm. Sounds like a sticking regulator valve in your oil pump. Not sure what your oil pump setup is. With that said 70 psi at cruise and 50+ at idle is abnormally high, your oil psi on a Fully heat soaked engine at idle is approx 12-25ish and 45-50 ish at 2400 - 2800ish rpm. This is on a fully heat soaked motor and the "ish" on the numbers is due to many variable...bearing clearances, how cool or hot engine runs, after a WFO blast and oil is frothed, etc.
The factory oil filter adapter will have what looks to be a nut (actually its a plug cap) that houses the oil psi regulator valve and spring.

Engine rpm not road speed is going to dictate rpm. Sounds like a sticking regulator valve in your oil pump. Not sure what your oil pump setup is. With that said 70 psi at cruise and 50+ at idle is abnormally high, your oil psi on a Fully heat soaked engine at idle is approx 12-25ish and 45-50 ish at 2400 - 2800ish rpm. This is on a fully heat soaked motor and the "ish" on the numbers is due to many variable...bearing clearances, how cool or hot engine runs, after a WFO blast and oil is frothed, etc.
The factory oil filter adapter will have what looks to be a nut (actually its a plug cap) that houses the oil psi regulator valve and spring.
Meant to say ....Engine rpm not road speed is going to dictate oil psi