What's a good set of plug wires to get?

veedubcrazy

Since I am in the processing of making the '87 TR in a more driveable sense, I will have to replace the plug wires. Not without spending a huge amount of money, whats the best wires for the dollar? As you can see, there is a mismatch here...

Picture032-3.jpg

Thanx...

Dave

The rjc/merrit wires are top notch and as plug and play as they come.

These are expensive, but worth it. Stay away from Magnacore's (just my opinion)

I ran Red Armstrong wire's for years and they were good too, but I'm not sure how much they are now.

The Race Jace Cramer / Russ Merritt plug wires are the best, period, and are inexpensive if you consider the quality that goes into them.

Kirbans are real nice and very reasonable. just put a new set on when i did a spring cleaning and new plugs (E-3's from him too.), and im very happy. good fit, and was impressed with the quality. they have more of a factory look, i was just sick of the red, not to mention, my Magnicores desinagrated.

You can get a good set of AC DELCO or Bosch plug wires from the source in the link below at a very good price, that is hard to beat and shipping is reasonable and fast also.

AC DELCO plug wires are $36.79 and the Bosch plug wires are $25.79

RockAuto Parts Catalog

You can also get the Bosch plug wires at your local autozone for $32.00 with a lifetime warranty. You can replace them every year or when you change your oil if you want.

I have a set of Splitfire plug wires that i bought in 1996 that still work and look good.

John :smile:

2 cents

it really depends on your pockets, if you don't mind spending the cash then buy some MSD or some of the others mentioned on here. Mixmatched wires makes you not want to pop you hood and i know alot of people want to see the engine. If not then buy a decent set to get you through and then upgrade when you can. As i said i'm not sure how much you really want to spend but if you have a mixed matched set then i would think your not wanting to drop a wad on some good plugs. I'm sure you can get a set for 30-40ish at any good parts store to hold you over.

it really depends on your pockets, if you don't mind spending the cash then buy some MSD or some of the others mentioned on here. Mixmatched wires makes you not want to pop you hood and i know alot of people want to see the engine. If not then buy a decent set to get you through and then upgrade when you can. As i said i'm not sure how much you really want to spend but if you have a mixed matched set then i would think your not wanting to drop a wad on some good plugs. I'm sure you can get a set for 30-40ish at any good parts store to hold you over.

I had replaced some plugs as some were dry-rotted from sitting a good while. It runs fine but the wires are just mis-matched. When I get done with putting in new throttle shaft seals, valve cover gaskets and a new vacuum block, the wires will be last on the list to do under the hood.

All thats left is door seals, I/C scoop and its road-ready. Well, almost...:biggrin:

BEST wires are Reds. Never hear negative comments & they fit perfect. They are also very reasonably priced. Only problem is they don't fit typeII.

Ive NEVER had a problem with the MSDs. On either of the TRs Ive owned. Fit well, and the price isnt too bad. Like it was said before, when you buy quality it only hurts once.

Kinda like my THDP, LOL!