What's a 1978 turbo motor worth?

Scott A

I have a chance to get a real good deal on a mostly complete 1978 turbo V6, however it sounds like some of the turbo plumbing maybe missing. I was looking to pick it up for the crankshaft (same as 87 turbo motors?). The block has been sitting in a barn for about 4 years, the turbo still spins ok.

Is there anything other than the crank and turbo on this motor worth saving? I really don't want to hold on to it too long.

Hi;

The cranks are the same.

Is a Two barrel carb or a Four barrel ? , Does the engine spin (it is not sized up). and whats missing off of it?

IMO , If you can get for $400.00 or less , don't wait :)

Thanks for the reply. I found out the motor spun a bearing, don't know how bad it is, the guy says the crank will spin. The carb is missing, he said the turbo had a remanufactured sticker on it, and has minimal to no end slop. He's going to throw in a complete 85 3.8 NA motor as well, he's unsure if it has the 20-bolt oil pan. His asking price was $40, sounds like I ought to pick it up, just not sure if the crank will be any good. He also said the motor has never been rebuilt.

don't hesitate.

At $40 it's worth that as core alone. Take your pic which one. Turbo core, short block core, long block core, cylinder head core. And he is throwing in another block. It should already be nice and tucked in in your garage.:eek:

The '78 uses the low port heads. :( Unless you find someone needing '78 parts, some of the stuff is not worth as much as '79 and later.

The low port heads are worthless, IMO. The block isn't worth much either. Everybody's hung up on having a 86/87, 20-bolt "109" block.

You could try removing everything from the long block and selling it as a package package. Or move everything over to a good NA block and stick it in a ?????.

I would part it out and sell things peice by peice on ebay. The turbo and plenum will be worth $40+. The Turbo control center and distributor are valuable (if they could be verified good). The PCEV valve if not broken, could be worth soemthing. The intake and exhaust manifolds aren't worth the shipping prices invloved.

The '85 NA engine will have the "8445" everybody wants. That alone is probably worth the $40. Otherwise, it's a big paperweight as well.