What would it take to do this V-8 swap and how would it go?

Interesting thread. I am curious to see start to finish and compare it to a S2 price as allot of parts would have to be custom, kinda like doing a on-center verses a off-center. :rolleyes:

i actually know of grap ape racing from some 6 years ago, knew the guy from a chat room, and without lookingi know of the headers you speak of, all they are are block hugger headers that are mountd upside down with turbo flanges on them, them things are really cheap, and they won't last a summer if you use the car like i expect it will, its not worth the frustration, especially if you have all of the plumbing done all nice, chances are that getting a repair set to mach up correctly are slim, i would recomend spending the extra and get a set that will last forever, and a set out of 304 ss will last 5 years, if you get 321 ss, they will be ther for the grand kids if they were properly fabricated, thats what i think :)
grant

Originally posted by John Wilde
Jeff,

Wasn't Pat Fiero the first conversion he did in a street car?
I remember seeing it back in 98. What ever happened to that thing and Pat? Who are the others?

John, I think you are correct; Pat was one of the first conversions. Kenny had the car for two years (I think Kenny used it as fill in work) and it had the potential of being a very fast car. Honestly I think it was too much car for Pat and it needed some work to get it to launch straight. Pat would ease it out of the hole and hit it hard at the 1/8th mile and run in the tens @139mph. I know Pat still has the car and he would sell it if someone made him a decent offer. It also has a turbo 400 and a Ford 9".
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
I heard that Kenny Dutweiler was working on a turbo SBC kit for the GN that included the ECM. I know of at least three conversions that have made it out of his shop.
Jeff Rand

Sorry.....but everytime I see a GN - T/Type with a chevy engine in it..........well, it's just not a GN or Turbo Regal anymore. The Turbo 3.8 is the heart and soul of these cars. Take out the LC2 and it kills the character of the car. Same thing as dropping in a Chevy 350 into say a 68 Firebird or GTO. The car just isn't the same. It may be faster with the Chevvvy engine, but if thats all you want then just drop it in a Regal or Lemans instead of cutting up a GN or some other muscle car. There's a million Monte Carlo SS's out there. Why not cut up one of those??? Sorry, but thats just how I feel. I think there's a lot more people who probally feel the same way. ;)

P.S.
GM is not making anymore TR's and that's why this site is called TURBO BUICK.COM !!!! Flame suit on...........KB

Originally posted by n20junkie
i actually know of grap ape racing from some 6 years ago, knew the guy from a chat room, and without lookingi know of the headers you speak of, all they are are block hugger headers that are mountd upside down with turbo flanges on them, them things are really cheap, and they won't last a summer if you use the car like i expect it will, its not worth the frustration, especially if you have all of the plumbing done all nice, chances are that getting a repair set to mach up correctly are slim, i would recomend spending the extra and get a set that will last forever, and a set out of 304 ss will last 5 years, if you get 321 ss, they will be ther for the grand kids if they were properly fabricated, thats what i think :)
grant
How long would these last.
thanks for the info.

Ohh,are you doing any custom work for turbo maniiflods..I may do a Cheny 350 in a regal

i actually am going to be getting into the trubo parts business, i am hoping that by mid summer i will be making parts for sbc's, i want to make semi custom parts for people such as yourself looking to do swaps, i am in the desert right now, but wheni get back i am going to make another prototype set out of 321 stainless, and see how they go, the last wet i made was out of 1/4 wall mild steal, they we great, but a bit heavy, the 321 ss ones i have will use burns stainless double slip colllectors and " V " band clamp on turbo adapters, so that you could easily go from a twin to a single set up without purchasing new headers, if you are looking for a set earlier than next summer let me know and i might be able to put you in touch with some very high quility fabricators that could help you out.
grant

Originally posted by hot6-231
well, it's just not a GN or Turbo Regal anymore. The Turbo 3.8 is the heart and soul of these cars.

instead of cutting up a GN or some other muscle car. There's a million Monte Carlo SS's out there. Why not cut up one of those???

P.S.
GM is not making anymore TR's and that's why this site is called TURBO BUICK.COM !!!! Flame suit on...........KB

The 3.8 is but a V-8 Chevy is a bunch cheaper and parts are easy to find. Besides they will hold the HP.

Who is cutting up? That is where the problem is. If you do it right you shouldn't have to cut up anything. Save your low mile V-6 and shelve it in the garage if you are really worried about it. If you don't make it a hack job you can always put it back to like new with the V-6.

This is TB.Com but this is also the "Everything Else" Lounge. :D

Attachments

• picture 005s.jpg
    picture 005s.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 74
I think these guys are talking about turbo'd V8's Bruce, not carbed N/A motors.

I already have a felpro, and a pretty stout 2004r, and a big aluminum radiator. Could I use the 200 until a buy a built 400?

I can't decide if I want to build a turbo V8 car or a turbo v6 hybrid car. I've always wanted to put a turbo 6 in a light weight chassis, but a turbo 355 might be a lil faster.:D My buddy just built a nice 355 bottom end, forged crank, h beam rods, forged pistons, etc. I think he spent about $2000 on parts, including a 4 bolt main 350 block. I think about $2000 would get you a nice set of heads, and maybe just go with the 4 barrel intake converted for fuel injection, with the pte (90mm?) elbow. The headers and downpipe would be the pain to build. I think this setup in a 79-81 malibu with mini tubs would be the berrys.

AsphaltAnihil8r;
sorry the headers that i commented on were the ones a few posts up from the one you actually asked the question on, the ones in the link you gave me are made out of sch 20 tubing, if it is seamless which it probably is then it will most definatly work, thats what my first set of headers were made of, i will include a link so you can see how i constructed mine, which was a bit simpler and required less elbows, tehy do end up being a bit heavy, but you don't have to ceramic coat them and they act like a big brake rotor, the time that they will be in the super high heat range is short, and they can absorb the heat and release it slowly, so they won't crack, thin tube carbon steel heats up super fast and cools the same, expanding and contracting in rapid heat cycling will kill them quickly, a set of headers constructed out of this sch 20 tubing will run aprox 300 if you can get the flanges at a reasonable cost, i recomend that the tubes be tig welded so that the weld quality is perfect and the penetration is 100 percent, this will keep stress risers away, hope this helps.
grant

http://www.grantfarmerracing.com/headertop.html

http://www.grantfarmerracing.com/headerflange.html

it was late when i replied, after looking at the pictures it sure is sch40, i used sch80, made em a little heavier, but i could get the elbows for free, made them alot cheaper to make.
grant