What to use to stick emblems on???

AM86

I'm about to apply new emblems and need to know what to use??? the 2nd Q is what to use to clean the residue from the previous adhesive... any help would be great...thanks ...

Brian

3m

3M makes a red backed double stick tape that is probably one of the best things to use. 3m also makes an adhesive and wax remover that will get the old stuff off. goodluck

Anthony

I thought about trying magnetic tape. Then I could take them off for the "blacked out" look. Only thing is,,,,,,anyone could. But I figured if someone went to the trouble of "checking" the emblems I would rather they got them off clean without scratching up my paint.

you bring up a very good point... if there going to check then let them have them without messing up the paint... do you think they would stay on well?

Magnetic emblems would likely lead to scratches (dirt being able to works it way under, adjusting them into the right position, a little bit of dirt on the magnet or car when you put 'em on, etc.).....I'd go with the tape.

I used a 3M adheasive remover to get the old emblems off. Then isopropyl alcohol to clean the area and finally 3M red double sided backing tape to affix them back on . Worked out great

3m is most likely best way to go, as these guys have said, but I'll just throw this out there too. One morning at work, noticed one of my side t type emblems was barely hanging on and almost swinging in the wind. I didnt have any "good" double sided tape, just the carpet backing double sided tape that 3m makes (and is junk for this purpose). So I grabbed a little wax and waxed/cleaned the area real good :)confused: I dunno, just seemed like a good idea I guess, get off me will'ya?). and then put a little dab of silicone on my finger and rubbed it to the back side of the emblem, then placed it back on and took a piece of masking tape to hold it in place till it dried. At the end of my shift, pulled the tape, and "presto". I thought it'd be a temporary fix till I got ahold of good tape, but when I went to pry it off, uh-uh, this thing is on there, just as good as the tape, or better. I'll end up having to use piano wire or something I bet if I ever do pull it. And because its silicone, I know my paint will not be affected. and silicone will pretty much rub off with your finger.

"You want a finger? I can get you a finger, believe me, there are ways. I can get you a finger by 2 o'clock"
Can anyone guess what great movie that quote is from? ;)
Oh wait, it was a toe wasn't it?? :redface:
Oh well.

anyways, worked for me. :)