What to look for?

JayLashua

Just bought a '87 GN with T-Tops. Saw pictures, car is pretty dirty, engine bay is kinda dirty, has a TE62 turbo, low miles on it. everything esle stock.

Im planning to install my walbro 307 pump, im buying a set of bluetops, and redo the IC hoses, wash out the ic, etc..

the motor was rebuilt by GM 40k miles ago
all maintanence done by GM
all receipts.

i noticed form a picture there was rust on the PM accumulator?well anyhow, the seller drives it apparently so i ASSume the pm works ok. What else should I look for when I get the car this weekend? Whats tricky with the LC2 engines!? if the dealer rebuilt it, it should have a new timing chain, and seals, therefore i shouldnt have to worry about leaks for a while right?

Any info welcome!

Jay welcome to the intercooled world!:cool:

One thing to look for is on the T-tops, my car has 1 rust spot on the entire car and it is on the thin piece of metal right behind the windshield, where water apparently sat at some time. I would take the tops off and inspect for something similar.

The longblock is very similar to you 84, the block is a little stronger and the pistons are different.

You should probably remove the IC and clean it inside and out. Mine was packed with about 50 bugs on the outside.

The blue tops are a good choice as they will have fuel for anything the stock turbo can throw at them. I just rec'd a Thrasher 97 chip for mine, and it idled great. Have not been able to drive it on the road yet though.

The timing chain and gears should be replaced, or at least looked at. Hopefully GM replaced it during the rebuild.

You already know about the fuel pumps and thermostat and all the garbage so I will save you from that lecture.

Good luck

Oh yeah, as far as leaks, dont be surprised if the rear main seal is already "marking its territory". They all do

Check the driver side header for cracks also

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Jay welcome to the intercooled world!:cool:

word! :cool:

One thing to look for is on the T-tops, my car has 1 rust spot on the entire car and it is on the thin piece of metal right behind the windshield, where water apparently sat at some time. I would take the tops off and inspect for something similar.

Rightyo

The longblock is very similar to you 84, the block is a little stronger and the pistons are different.

hehe.. no its not.. its the same block.. I got a 109 in my hottie too. :D

You should probably remove the IC and clean it inside and out. Mine was packed with about 50 bugs on the outside.

ouch, good idea.

The blue tops are a good choice as they will have fuel for anything the stock turbo can throw at them. I just rec'd a Thrasher 97 chip for mine, and it idled great. Have not been able to drive it on the road yet though.

..but its got a TE62.. ive been talking to other people about it, i think if its too troublesome i might see if i cant trade turbos with someone, perhaps a TE44 would be a better choice..

The timing chain and gears should be replaced, or at least looked at. Hopefully GM replaced it during the rebuild.

hopefully :)

You already know about the fuel pumps and thermostat and all the garbage so I will save you from that lecture.

Good luck

word :)

You put all that together and you get:

Word! Rightyo hehe.. no its not.. its the same block.. I got a 109 in my hottie too. ouch, good idea. ..but its got a TE62.. ive been talking to other people about it, i think if its too troublesome i might see if i cant trade turbos with someone, perhaps a TE44 would be a better choice..hopefully. word.

heeheee.. Sorry 'bout that I just thought it was kinda funny:D

Congrats on the car!!
ks:cool:

wachoo say? o_O :p

how about some useful info!

whats a geeky powermaster feel like, what shold a good one feel like?? i figured out alot about my '84, but looking for '87 specific issues so i know what to look for and fix if necessary :)

A good one will stop you fast. A bad one will not, and the brake light may or may not come on;)

If your face looks like this :mad:, or this :eek: something is probably up:D