what should this car run?

Brandon706

I just picked up a Grand National last week, the previous owner installed the following mods,Russ Merrit Transmission with 2800 Stall Converter (only 3k miles on it),Precision 5857E Turbo,Alky-Control Progressive Methanol Injection System tuned by Cotton Performance,Walbro 340 Fuel Pump with Hotwire kit
110# Valve Springs,60# Injectors,160* Thermostat ,3" Terry Houston Downpipe, Stock Intercooler running about 20 pounds of boost. I am thinking of installing a upgraded neck stock intercooler. I would like to have a low 12 second car on street tires and 11s on drag radials. thanks

Since you don't know what it runs as it is now, I'd wait til I had some baseline runs, B4 I started changing parts, throwing money at it..
You may already have a 12 sec car, but it's handicapped by a 14 sec driver!:D:eek: ;)

I would be surprised if you can get a low 12 on street tires with that setup would have to be on 70 degree day with the track prepped well. enough boost off the line on foot brake to get a decent 60 foot time will probably blow the tires off.coming off at idle will equal a 2.0 60 foot time to much to make up at the other end. I'm sure it can and has been done as everyone will chime in and tell you.

What the should run and what you can make it run are two separate items.

Even a good combo with potential power and conditions promoting a good run can be spoiled by a number of things that can go wrong. Most start within the launch and the first 60'

You really need to run it and baseline the car to determine upgrades or add-ons.

Do you have a scanmaster or something to datalog? I am fanatical about info before I go to the track. Sounds like you have a great car but things change and parts fail so if you don't have some way to monitor things like knock you may want to address that before your realy push on it.
Just my .02 but street tires (not dr's) have a hard time hooking with these cars.
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

yes, i have a scanmaster installed, i just fiquired since i am pulling the engine to detail soon, i might as well do some upgrades while i am at it to further support my goal to run low 12s on street tires. I was thinking the upgraded intercooler should help, and depending on what my machine shop says i will probably do port and polished heads

we have almost the same mods, I have the same turbo with alky. I have ported heads and a big neck intercooler. I ran 11.91 last summer in Texas, with 21lbs of boost.

stock cam, 255/60/15 Micky's dot's. And I forgot, that was on bone stock heads. I may have done the valve springs, not sure.

so I talked with machine shop and decide to do a rebuild with roller cam and ported polished heads, my question will the precision 5857 turbo keep up with the improved airflow or will I need a bigger turbo?

The best run of the night was the 11.5 at 114.4
1.73 60’

stock motor and heads. Has a small roller cam for longevity. 5857 turbo. 26" tall Drag radials. This is about his 8th run on the car since he got it "down under". 28" tires and a little more practicing driving it it should go lower 11s @ 118/120:cool:

The guy who is building my engine is very well respected in the turbo buick community in South Jersey, Philly area. He has been building fast regals for a long time. So you guys think for my goals i shouldn't need a larger turbo? thanks

The guy who is building my engine is very well respected in the turbo buick community in South Jersey, Philly area. He has been building fast regals for a long time. So you guys think for my goals i shouldn't need a larger turbo? thanks

You should just start throwing parts at it before you go to the track with it. Might as well bench race this thing until it HAS to be fast! ;)

And why the goal of low 12's on street tires? If you are racing the car, run race tires. Or at least MT ET Streets. Then you get DOT tires and something that'll actually work. Going low 12's on true street tires takes a lot of power and a very good driver. I'm sure the journey will be fun.

so, I can a chance to my car my car to dragstrip to get a baseline. On street tires i ran a 12.8 at 111 mph

Put it this way....a stock GN with cold air kit, dr's, and a little bump in boost and w good driver will yield a low 13 high 12.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4