What rear end does my car have?

Buick355

It's an 84 Regal non turbo that was originally equipped with a non turbo V6. I need to build up the rear end but I'm not sure if it's a 7.5" or an 8.5". I can't find any lockers for a 7.5" so I hope it's an 8.5" so I have something to build on.

I'm virtually 99.99% positive it is a 7-1/2" type. Check with SLP engineering (google) They may have some factory posi pulls out of some later camaros.... they used to be the same as the 7-1/2". I think you might need to upgrade the axles .... not sure the splines are the same......

IMHO it would be money well spent to just get a GN Rear off the board...... you won't regret it.....

8.5 was a turbo only rear in the regal

if it wasnt a turbo its a 7.5 , unless someone put an 8.5 in there

Damn.....I guess I'll look for a GN rear end if I can find one cheap. How much would I expect to pay for a stock one? Are they posi from the factory? I plan on putting about 500 to the wheels.

avialable posi and non posi
from regals will have a 3.42 gear unless changed , and from hurst olds /442 they will have 3.73 gears
expect to shell out about 700-850 , more if its recently been gone through

if your going racing youll have to install aftermarket axles and studs
axles start at around 225 a pair , then you need to do C- clip eliminators 150 or so for mosers , the ford style ends are nice but ends up more due to extra work and parts required

Look at the bottom of the differential housing...looking from the rear of the car. In the 2 bottom corners...the 4 and 8 o'clock) there will be the identifying bosses in those locations. If you have square shaped bosses, its an 8.5 rear. If they're hook shaped, its a 7.5 rear.

442 olds also came with the 8.5" but the gears were 373s. i just sold 87 gn rear for $600. could have probably gotten $750. the 7.5s were round under the housing and the 8.5s had like two little ears on the bottom of the housing.

I remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when I was really in the whole hot rod scene. 10 bolt rears were considered junk and every 300hp 327 camaro owner believed there was no way a 10 bolt would ever hold up with the power they were making. Just had to be a 12 bolt or they werent cool enough. I guess they all figured 10 bolt rears only came in 1 size. What are these rears running in stock form these days? 10's? 9's? :eek:

Pacecarta.... I like that sway bar....... mine should be in any day..... :biggrin:

....sorry.... to hijack.... back to topic.......

I have an open (non-posi) 8.5" rear-end I would sell if your interested that came from my 87 Turbo-T parts car. The parts necessary to convert it to a posi rear I have been told are available at most any wrecking yard. It is a TRUE 8.5" Turbo Regal rear-end with 3.42 gears. PM if interested or email me at ram57ta@hotmail.com.

Thanks for all the responses guys. If I cant find an inexpensive 8.5" then I'll probably go 9". I found a guy that will build one with a Eaton posi diff, Mosier axles, rear disc brakes ready to bolt in for about $2400. If I were to pay $700 for a used 8.5" I'd have to buy axles, gears, a better posi unit, bearings, and seals, and a rear disc brake kit. That would put me close to that price anyhow for an inferior rear end.

A stock 8.5 rear is plenty strong as long as its in good working order. Unless you're planning on running 9's, I wouldnt sweat having a bulletproof rear end. They are plently strong. If you're worried, getting a rear girdle (less than 200 bucks), and having the axle tubes welded would provide alot more strength.

Buick355 said:
Thanks for all the responses guys. If I cant find an inexpensive 8.5" then I'll probably go 9". I found a guy that will build one with a Eaton posi diff, Mosier axles, rear disc brakes ready to bolt in for about $2400. If I were to pay $700 for a used 8.5" I'd have to buy axles, gears, a better posi unit, bearings, and seals, and a rear disc brake kit. That would put me close to that price anyhow for an inferior rear end.

Try www.moserengineering.com the prices of a complete rear and disc brakes of your choice will surprise you.

VadersV6 said:
A stock 8.5 rear is plenty strong as long as its in good working order. Unless you're planning on running 9's, I wouldnt sweat having a bulletproof rear end. They are plently strong. If you're worried, getting a rear girdle (less than 200 bucks), and having the axle tubes welded would provide alot more strength.
Amen to that......

500 RWHP should not overpower the big 10 bolt. They IMHO are as strong (or very close to) as a 12 bolt Chevy which is gorilla stout......

just my $0.02

Buick355 said:
I didn't see a G body bolt in.

Your right, it something you would have to know to piece together. I suggest you call them and let them know what your looking to do and they will help you pick your poison. I suggest also talking to friends and checking old threads regarding 10, 12 bolt rears and 9" before making a final decision. Moser Engineering has a technical support and is very helpful.