What Oil Do You Use In Your Turbo Buick?

RussellinNC

Car lover!!!!!!!!!!!
What Brand and Weight Motor Oil do you use in your Turbo Buick?

Also what kind of use does your car see? Daily driver, street/strip, drag only,etc?

What climate do you live in?

No poll here...Just seeing what everyone uses.

Russ :cool:

I'm using Valvolene 10w-30 synthetic with the pf52 filter. My car is mainly a weekend cruiser street/strip ride. As far as climate, it can get pretty hot down here in dixie :D

Valvoline 10W30 in both of my Gn's and my wife's 1996 Regal GS. My daily driver 2001 Sunfire runs Valvoline 5W30.

My dad ran Valvoline so that is what I run.

Mobil 1

From the many many prior threads on this topic, it's safe to say that approx. 75% of the board respondents use Mobil 1.

We use Mobil 1 0-40W in all our internal combustion conveyances.

HTH :)

usually.99 a quart on sale at K-MART

mobile one 10w-30 or 10w-40
non synthetic

rotella T for the dodge cummins

I also think by prior threads it's safe to say you can do just fine and save money by using Valvoline 10-30, or, 10-40 in the summer, Dino. oil. :)

Change it every 3K or so.

10w-30 Mobil 1 in the GN and the Z28

15w-50 Mobil 1 in the Vette

5w-30 Valvoline Dino Oil in the Subaru because Subaru is paying for the oil and the oil change.:)

I thought Id jump in here and ask everyone why I dont see many using 20W-50 Racing oil such as valvoline??? Is there something I dont see with this? Being that most of us are on here to RACE!!!:D

Mobil 1 in both turbo Regals. Weight depends on weather. GN is a race car and the T is a driver.

My modded Cummins gets Rotella.

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
I thought Id jump in here and ask everyone why I dont see many using 20W-50 Racing oil such as valvoline??? Is there something I dont see with this? Being that most of us are on here to RACE!!!:D
20W-50 seems more suited to very high RPM (6000+) engines running hot ... eg circle track, endurance racing. In every gas engine I've ever owned I've generally run only 5W-30 or 10W-30.

In my daily driver chevy blazer, used mainly for short trips, the oil gets so vile looking, I just change it every month with a name brand, inexpensive oil -- texaco, shell, valvoline, castrol, whatever happens to be lowest priced at that moment.

Originally posted by Scott4DMny

Good point Scott; however, I don't think most members here are "racers", occasional maybe? Your point is well taken as in MANY threads there are basic differences in answers given as "gospel" which may not even apply on the street - or conversly for race application.

I personally know of lots of race cars and owners and most do NOT use synthetic oil. If any one oil is predominant in race circles, my guess would be Kendall. The general theory is to use an oil only as thick as necessary, as thinner oil sucks less HP.

One the street, everyone has their own preference. After seeing and servicing hundreds of T-R's over the years, have not seen any difference in longetivity or performance in using synthetic or regular oil. Just my humble opinion!:)

I use mobil 10w30 dino. Tried syn once, blew a rear main on it. If you do go the syn route, I recommend something a step up in thickness. As far as power gains go, if you want to squeak out every last bit, I've seen countless dynos on the web of syn vs dino oil and the syn does seem to do better. One thing that I would DEFINITELY recommend is some brand loyalty, no matter which brand you pick. Different brands use different detergents and some may be more or less compatible than others. Switching brands can cause some nasties as you never get all of the old oil out, it's absorbed in some seals, etc.

Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30...

In my T-Type?
Synthetic Mobil 1 10W30 only.

Wal-Mart el-cheapo 10W30 in my daily beater. :)

20W50 in my Old Mini's.

10W40 in my Old Bug.

:)

It's funny how this subject comes up on all the sites(Vette,LS1,GN) sites I subscribe too.

Basically, the arguments and opinions are the same on all the sites. However, the problem is that many of the opinions are just that "opinions", based on observations or bad rumors or old wives tales.

If you really want to know if synthetic is better than dino oil for your daily driver, occasional racer, or full time racer, there's a couple of reliable and independent sources of information; The Society of Automotive Engineers and American Petroleum Institute.

It is safe to say there have been hundreds of independent, clinical tests of both types of oil, tests where two identical engines for example are run on dynos, for extended periods of time, under different loads, and then torn down and analyzed for wear.

Mobil 1 may still advertise itself as the "million mile" oil after one of those tests involving a BMW engine. They ran the engine for a million miles and then tore it down and found no appreciable wear. It's, of course advertising, but, if the test was run by an independent lab, and not Mobil Oil, then it's an example of an unbiased test of these oils.

I'm sure there are probably dozens more tests involving other synthetic and dino brands of oils.

All oil is a blend of different qualities for one purpose, preventing wear, suspending contaminants, heat and cold flow, etc. What works in a race car where heat and thermal breakdown are a concern, would not work so well in a daily driver where stop and go driving and cold winter starts mean that contaminents and cold flowing properties may be more important.

The consensus, as far as I have read. If you're driving your TB as a daily driver and only occasionally going to the track, then a good Dino Oil that you change every 3k is probably okay. You can spend the extra money for a synthetic to provide more wear and heat/cold protection but it may not give you better service.