what newer gm radio will work

derrick

what newer gm radio will work in a grand national? would a 1994 impala ss cd player work in a grand national

The wiring connector behind the radio is different. The plugs used in the Grand National were around until the early 90's. You could always cut the harness and wire up the newer one, then you could use the Impala radio. The wire colors should mostly be the same, but I would certainly test them all ahead of time (3 minute job at most).

Reply to ''BlackBeauty''...

''BlackBeauty'', don't cut any wires!! It's much better to use an adapter from 12 to 21 pin so you don't have to cut any wires and can go back to the original radio anytime you want. It's made by: http://www.mnrelectronics.com , and the part number is #16140051. That's all! :)

Claude :)

I'm used to wiring up cut-up harnesses all the time, not a tough task at all if you know what you're doing. It's been part of my job for two years. But I agree that it's not recommended if you aren't sure of what you are doing.

That web site you provided has a link to www.installdr.com, nice wiring diagrams there. It turns out the wire colors are the same over the years. I knew the speakers and power wires were the same, just wasn't sure about dimmer, remote turn-on, illumination and the like.

I put a 94 Impy radio in my GN recently. I had to fab up a bracket to make the holes line up right. A little bit of a tight fit, but it will fit. It looks like it goes there once installed. Get the harness to plug it right in. Would be a good mod *IF* I ever turned the radio on. Gotta love that turbo spool sound.

derrick said:
what newer gm radio will work in a grand national? would a 1994 impala ss cd player work in a grand national

If you want to save some extra bucks then if you can get the stock harndess from the impala just color match it with the GN but becareful some has duplicate colors so you will need a test meter. If you need the stock hardness I can try to find if I got any extras just let me know.