what kinds of cars have people put gn motors in?

Re: Reatta?!?!?

Originally posted by SinistrV6
TroGNman,
You've seen a TR powered Reatta? Any pics? I always wondered if someone had attempted that with Buick's little 2 seater!!
Richard, I saw the Reatta at Bowling Green along with some neat stuff that was brought over from Buick Motor Division. I'm thinking it was 1988 or 89.

If I recall correctly, there were 2 Reattas, one retained the front-drive and was a low-pressure application. The other one was a beast; GNX-spec engine, converted to rear-drive complete with Corvette IRS and it had Ronal R-7 16"rims. A lot of work was involved to make it a RWD and the craftsmanship was superb.

The prototype cars were featured in a couple of car mags at the time, but alas they were just concepts or engineering studies.

Hurley Engine Service COmpany. HESCO. Their out of Birmingham,AL and do alot of performance work on mega $$$ cars,also have a dynojet on premises. Theyve done every car mentioned here but the Reatta and Studebaker. Also did ALL of the development work on the Whipple Chargers for 4.0 liter jeeps.

Originally posted by gn85
I had spoke to the gentlemen with the Fiero conversion. He wouldn't indicate what times it ran, just said that he was having problems frying clutches. I couldn't imagine rowing the gears with this motor. Couldn't imagine it makes the best of the power either. Unless you've got a quick spooling turbo... then I'd imagine the motor winds up faster then you can shift it depending on your gearing. I had thought about a 3800 in a Fiero for a fun daily driver. But that's when I lived 45 mins from work.

Also, I remember at e-town seeing a Jeep Wrangler.

I talked to a guy that had a stock GN motor in a Fiero, he said it ran 11.6's in the 1/4 all day long.

I already have a 3800 Series II in a fiero that is getting a GN's turbo and a typhoon's IC.

Ahhh, the fusion of new technology and old school; aint it great!

P.S.: should have done in time to have it at the nat's this year.

seems like not that many 442/Hurst swaps? :( too many el camino/ mc SS swaps :mad: maybe that's just proof that the 305 was garbage and everyone blew them up. not saying the 307 is great but way more reliable. nothing like blue smoke when starting up your SS.

A friend of mine had the 83 HO with the GN drivetrain.He sold the moter and trans out of it and later sold the body.He tried selling it all together but got more $$$ selling it seperate.He owns a real 69 HO and thats where the $ from the 83 went into restoring it.

Keith

Originally posted by sloride
Hurley Engine Service COmpany. HESCO. Their out of Birmingham,AL and do alot of performance work on mega $$$ cars,also have a dynojet on premises. Theyve done every car mentioned here but the Reatta and Studebaker. Also did ALL of the development work on the Whipple Chargers for 4.0 liter jeeps.
Hi Slowride,
Ive got a Gremlin , and was curious as to what you know of the 4.0 jeep 6 cyl with a whipple. That motor of course is of AMC heritage and may be an easy swap into a Gremlin and i never knew of any turbo ones. Thanks

My buddy Paul has a 79 TTA with a LC2
My buddy John has a Chrysler Conquest with a LC2

Doing a 1st gen f-body swap should be easy.

I've seen at the Buick Nats:

several Elcaminos, Malibu wagon, '79-82 Z28, green '91 or '92 rag-top Camaro with TTA drivetrain,dash and sterring wheel, '65 & '66 Skylark 1 red,1 black, a VOLVO STATION WAGON:eek: ,Mustang GT, Monte-Carlo SS, Corvette, 2 '68 or '69 Camaros, Datsun 280-Z, Cobra kit car,...hhmm seems like there is a few more that I can't recall at this momment.

These have been scattered over the last 11 years of the
Nationals.

Oh yeah, Bill Ragland had a SSSSWWWEET '68 Chevy truck with a GN interior & console, '90 stepside bed and GN drivetrain.

I would love to put a stage motor down into an F-body. Conservative buildup would net easy 10s, then the cornering potential:eek: .

I'm thinking about dropping one in my 68 mustang now that I've killed the 302. Or going with a 12-13:1 comp, .650-.700 lift, Trick Flow R-series headed, 289 that'll rev to 9 or 10 thousand. :D and maybe surprise a GN or two. ;)

maybe that's just proof that the 305 was garbage and everyone blew them up. not saying the 307 is great but way more reliable. nothing like blue smoke when starting up your SS.

Perhaps people favor the styling? ;). The 307 is a dud just like the 305, but the 305 has somewhat of a track record(no its not a performance motor) for people building them up at least with some results(namely TPI/5 speed f-bodies). Nothing seriously fast of course :). Less reliable than a 307? Doubtful.

I have seen a 86/87 TR drivetrain swap into a 79'(I think) Trans Am that was very clean, had a custom white leather interior with the Turbo 6 headrests. Also a black 87/88 Cutlass had it with some GN interior parts too, car wasnt a show car type, but a nice clean driver.

There was a 83' H/O in the paper a couple times here with a *87* TR drivetrain as well as many other fancy items, Recaro seats, Momo rims, etc. and they wanted 15k for it.