What kill switch

Blkt6

What kill switch are you using and what is it hooked to?I want to install one but have never done it before,thanks for any help.

Oh hell yeah. I'm stopping by radio shack on the way home and making that tonight! I was going to make some kill-switches, but this is a much better idea.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and can make all sorts of stuff. I had been thinking about a radio controlled kill switch. (pretty easy to make). Still a good idea since I'd have the remote to it with me. The problem with the idea - my luck my remote would break at 4 am in bumblephuck.

Oh I forgot to add that this was actually tested 6 years ago by some of Memphis' finest. They broke my column :( but the car was still parked where I left it. :)

I installed a permanent stainless steel column collar after that incident.

Put a couple of switches on there to kill the fuel pump also. that is what saved my car when it was stolen. Found the car 3 blocks away, they never did get it started.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
I installed a permanent stainless steel column collar after that incident.

MeanBuicks, can you give me any more info on how to install something like that on my car? I'm new to GN's but remember reading somewhere about a fix for the steering column to help prevent theft. Does someone sell a kit? Anyone have a link? :cool:

The product I used was called Hard Steal. I purchased it through JC Whitney years ago (& got one for the Cutlass too) but I don't know if they are still being sold/manufactured.

:D If you have an aftermarket stereo with detachable face, pull the face and see if the power antenna goes up or not. If it doesn't, you now have a very good "Pass Key". Wire the blue wire from your stereo (controls power ant and also amps) to control your fuel pump relay or whatever else you want to use as a kill switch like the vats relay if so equiped. Make sure you are only powering a relay as there is not enough current in the wire to power anything else.

The great part about it all is that someone can watch you all day long and you do nothing out of the ordinary to start your car. But if the faceplate is not in place, it will never run. Besides, it just goes to prove that you cant drive without tunes............LOL

Originally posted by 1badTTA
...Wire the blue wire from your stereo (controls power ant and also amps) to control your fuel pump relay

Just don't turn off your radio when cruising down the highway ;)

There are some interesting ideas at www.the12volt.com Try to think of something original as far as location/type of switch - the thieves know all the regular places and types of switches just as well as we do. There are many more options with TR's because of FI, but be careful about what your switch disables and the location of the switch as things can get dangerous if the power to the coil/fuel pump relay/ECM is accidently cut off while driving down the road. The Pass key mentioned above is probably the best idea out there when the wires are properly hidden. Also, as mentioned above make sure its not obvious when you are activating/deactivating your switch - theives are probably watching your habits long before they strike.