What I've been up to...

Scott Adcock

This is what a blown head gasket leads to. I had finished the restoration on the GSX a year prior and the Regal just wasn't up to the same standard. I took a look at the front end and figured now would be a good time to freshen up the suspension, but one thing led to another and my 6 month project has turned into a 2 year ordeal, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now and should hope to have it together by summer :)

BTW, anyone know which parts supplier has the correct the Evaporator for these cars? I've been to several now and they all list the same part number for the N/A regal as the Turbo car and we all know the Turbo car has a shorter A/C box and the evaporator is shorter by one row.

Attachments

• IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 221
I'll ditto the WOW!

Any engine performance upgrades while you had the heads off?

I've done a few things to this car over the years. The heads are '79 large port with a 3 angle vale job and swirl polished valves. The intake and exhaust sides have also been gasket matched and ported a bit as well. Coolant hoses to the carb plenum have been blocked to keep the intake charge cooler. A little lumpier cam (specs escape me at the moment) and a reworked Q-jet help with building boost quicker (15-16lbs on the street). Rear end has 3.42 gears, that helps too :)

I've been playing around with a little liquid intercooler (NOS) and that makes a big difference in turbo response. A little here goes a long way. I've done a best of about 14.3 / 99mph at a mile high altitude.

New items include a MSD 6BTM ignition retard, which should help keep the head connected to the block.

These little cars deserve a bit more respect, especially considering the time period they were born in.

Nice, great to the see the respect given to the early TR's

I wish we had more in our area and in our club. Great work.

BTW, anyone know which parts supplier has the correct the Evaporator for these cars? I've been to several now and they all list the same part number for the N/A regal as the Turbo car and we all know the Turbo car has a shorter A/C box and the evaporator is shorter by one row.

Yep evaporator is carb-turbo only. Hey would you be interested in a used one? I think I have the one from an 83 I parted out many years ago. I can send pics when I find it.

Hey I see your springs have nice fresh yellow ID decal tags on them. Are they the correct ones and who made them? Or are they just generic ones from another type of car?:smile:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the offer on the Evaporator Core. Send pics if the fittings look to be in good shape. I have a workable used one as well, it's just not as clean as I would like. I do have a NOS version from an '84 turbo car that is very close, but the main tube may have to be tweaked or a correct tube welded on.

The tags I reproduced myself form the original that came off the car. They are just printed on a high quality printer and coated with a clear sealant. This keeps it fresh for a while, but it will eventually deteriorate over time. The upper control arms are not correctly finished from the factory, as they did not paint the area near the upper ball joint. It looked to me that they dipped the part in paint up to within 2-3 inches of the ball joint and left the rest bare.

Damn, that's a sweet ride. Are new cars even that clean? Nice job. I could only wish my car comes out half that good.

I'm just about to start my rest-mod and my body is the same 2 colors it seems. what are the codes for them please?

New items include a MSD 6BTM ignition retard, which should help keep the head connected to the block.

The MSD 6BTM is good when running pump gas on the street. At the track I run 110 or 112. I start with a little retard to be safe, but the goal is to dial all the timing back in.

If I had a 78, I think I would try adding a second knock sensor on the block. I'm very used to looking at a knock gauge to know if I am safe.

I assume you used '79 manifolds along with the heads.

PS - It's good to see you back. :)

Thanks Rich,

The knock makes a bit nervous and a knock gauge sounds like a good idea. I'll look into this before I run it this summer.

I'm actually using 84-85 tube headers rather than the stock exhaust manifolds. I think I git these from Kenne Bell some years back and they bolt up fine. I had to reuse the old up pipe to the turbo though.

That 14.3 you ran is that with stock converter and untouched turbo with stock up pipe/downpipe? WHat are you running for exhaust? THe 15/16 lbs on the street is that with any alky or anything? My buddy is getting one of these cars and I'm trying to get stuff planned out for him so he can at least keep up with my car. I also noticed in your pic you have the stock airbox on it. Was this on when you did the 14.3 or was it swapped with a cone?

I have a 10" 3,500 stall convertor in the car. Untouched Turbo (adjustable wastegate), stock up pipe, 2.5" custom downpipe. Hooker dual exhaust, replaced the cat with a later monolith style. Fot the strip, the stock airbox gets replaced with a Kenne Bell cone style cold air intake - ran the tube behind the headlight and scoop under the front bumper.

Biggest single gains were the reat end gear change and reworking the carb to get the secondaries to come in faster. 15lbs of boost requires the best possible octane. Stick to the '79 and up heads, they have the larger ports.

I have not played with Alky setups, but will be for the future use on the street.

His car is a 79 so he should be good in that department. B4black is running low 14 on his 83. As far as I know his motor is all stock (cam, heads, etc.). He has a stall, had the turbo upgraded, and a homemade alky kit for big mods to the best of my knowledge. It seems you already have your "engine" work done, maybe with some work done to the turbo (porting, bigger wheel) you may be able to break into the 13s. Did you do any porting on the exhaust manifolds? I've heard this helps some on the IC cars so why not the carbed?? what about the intake and plenum, anything done there? He called me this morning wondering if he could get a IC car for around 5 grand. Told him unless he has 8-10 it will be a project for sure. He's getting this 79 for 200 bucks. Been sitting out in a field for years but the body seems to be pretty good, good doors and stuff. IT's all there just faded badly. I'm thinking these cars set up right should be capable of a low 13 in my opinion. I think its gonna come down to either you or Rich getting there first:cool: