What is your combined Fuel economy?

TURBO E38

I have just made a few mods and am experiencing BETTER fuel mileage.

I installed LS1 Translator Extender chip with LEAN CRUISE and closed loop idle enabled and 21.15 miles per gallon on a 53 mile test run I used aprox 2.5 gallons of fuel. I am running LUCAS fuel treatment top lube with GT-100 and 180 Degree thermostat.

This was 75% highway miles at steady 57mph.

THIS was with GOING easy on the throttle.

IF I do alot of full throttle blasts then I can expect 15-17

I never thought that going to larger injectors would see any benefit in gas mileage, What a pleasant surprise!

Regards, TURBO E38

I get an average of over 20 mpg with my current combination driving in a "spirited" fashion :)

Well, I drove my car up to dad's house to be put in storage this year. Cruising "all highway" at 70 mph, it got 22, 23 and 25 mpg. :eek: Not bad. I was hoping for 20!

I get around 24-25 in the TTA on the interstate. Overall I'd say average about 21-22 doing mostly highway driving.

I got 24.7 on a 600 mile cruise... mostly 50-60 mph some spirited runs...

about 20-21 average around here...

Usually 13-14, but if I'm out of methanol and trying to stay out of boost, it'll get 18 around town. Has been years since I've done any out of town trips with it, but last I remember was around 24. Gotta love the "lean cruise";)

Ive done everything imaginable, and I also have lean cruise, but Ive never gotten better than 18....and that was once or twice, driving 65 and accelerating like a turtle. The rest of the time Ive gotten 15-16mpg on the highway. Every tank, twice a week, for the past 3 years. 15-16mpg. Always. No matter what.
Some idiot had 4.56's in the rear when I bought it. Figured a switch to stock gearing would definitely improve mileage. Nope. Not 1 extra mpg. It had a 4000 stall TC in it. Figured that putting the stock TC back in would definitely improve mileage. Nope. Not 1 extra mpg.
When I first got it, I was seeing 8mpg. It was pretty screwed up at the time. Misfiring and tons of vacuum leaks. Thats what I get for selling my 99 cobra and trapping myself into a car I had never even test driven. DUMB. I fixed all that, and even with the 4000 stall TC and 4.56 gearing, I was getting 16mpg.
Only thing I didnt change was the exhaust. From what Ive read, if you rev the motor up in park and the vacuum reading drops, the exhaust is probably clogged. But my vacuum reading never dropped so I figured it must be ok. I have a feeling Ive wasted thousands of dollars on extra gas I didnt need to buy/use because of a clogged exhaust system. The motor is totally dead on power above 4500rpm. Always figured it's valve springs. Maybe not.

The motor is totally dead on power above 4500rpm. Always figured it's valve springs. Maybe not.

Same Here, and I have new(er) valve springs. 16mpg is WAY too low for highway MPG with a turbobuick. But, it sounds like you've replaced everything I could imagine would cause it..

Stock Maf>extender Chip Is Twice As Rich

Ive done everything imaginable, and I also have lean cruise, but Ive never gotten better than 18....and that was once or twice, driving 65 and accelerating like a turtle. The rest of the time Ive gotten 15-16mpg on the highway. Every tank, twice a week, for the past 3 years. 15-16mpg. Always. No matter what.
Some idiot had 4.56's in the rear when I bought it. Figured a switch to stock gearing would definitely improve mileage. Nope. Not 1 extra mpg. It had a 4000 stall TC in it. Figured that putting the stock TC back in would definitely improve mileage. Nope. Not 1 extra mpg.
When I first got it, I was seeing 8mpg. It was pretty screwed up at the time. Misfiring and tons of vacuum leaks. Thats what I get for selling my 99 cobra and trapping myself into a car I had never even test driven. DUMB. I fixed all that, and even with the 4000 stall TC and 4.56 gearing, I was getting 16mpg.
Only thing I didnt change was the exhaust. From what Ive read, if you rev the motor up in park and the vacuum reading drops, the exhaust is probably clogged. But my vacuum reading never dropped so I figured it must be ok. I have a feeling Ive wasted thousands of dollars on extra gas I didnt need to buy/use because of a clogged exhaust system. The motor is totally dead on power above 4500rpm. Always figured it's valve springs. Maybe not.

IF your running a stock MAF with Extender chip then eveything is twice as rich as it should be!
When a Translator is used on the extender setting, it cuts the maf siginal in half then doubles it in the chip, in your case your signal is not getting chopped in half so you are twice as rich all over the board, NOT GOOD AT ALL, MIGHT CAUSE FUEL IN THE OIL FROM OVERLY RICH CONDITION. IT cetainly won't help fuel mileage.

REGARDS, TURBO E38

Before I blew 2 headgaskets I got 24 mpg when I took it for a 200 mile cruise. Town cruising about 14mpg. The combo is in my sig.

On the way to Noble OK this year i got 24 on the way up and 24 on the way back. Pure city..... hmm 13-16 lol. Mixed driving i get 17-18. Throwing in just a little bit of city driving kills my mileage.

I don't really have combined numbers for you.
In city driving I get between 14-17 MPG with my 60lbs injectors.

IF your running a stock MAF with Extender chip then eveything is twice as rich as it should be!
When a Translator is used on the extender setting, it cuts the maf siginal in half then doubles it in the chip, in your case your signal is not getting chopped in half so you are twice as rich all over the board, NOT GOOD AT ALL, MIGHT CAUSE FUEL IN THE OIL FROM OVERLY RICH CONDITION. IT cetainly won't help fuel mileage.

REGARDS, TURBO E38
Nope. Thats not the case. Ive only been running the stock MAF with the extender for the past few months. There was no difference or change, other than the motor running way better all around. If I was simply relying on a MAF number to check the tune, Id be in trouble. But O2's, BLM's, O2 crosscounts...everything is as it should be. The translator doesnt cut the signal in half. The extender does. Then it re-interprets it. The translator takes the LS1 signal and "translates" it into an electronic signal that the old ECM can understand. It has nothing to do with the extender. Theres so much misunderstanding out there regarding this stuff.
Ask yourself this question: Can you run a translator and LS1 MAF with a stock chip? Yes you can. The extender simply cuts the MAF resolution in half in order to stretch the range out. Thats all it does. Then it re-interprets the data into something it can use. The translator and Ls1 maf have nothing to do with the extender. Everyone seems to think its a whole package that has to go together. If you understand how the translator works and what it does, and then understand how the extender works and what it does, you'll find they're really not related in any way. But if you tell people that if they have one, then they need the other, then you can make alot of money...
If I was running twice as much fuel as normal, the motor wouldnt even run, let alone have dead nuts perfect BLM's and o2's and crosscounts and no malfunction codes.

Better check with TURBO BOB BAILEY

Nope. Thats not the case. Ive only been running the stock MAF with the extender for the past few months. There was no difference or change, other than the motor running way better all around. If I was simply relying on a MAF number to check the tune, Id be in trouble. But O2's, BLM's, O2 crosscounts...everything is as it should be. The translator doesnt cut the signal in half. The extender does. Then it re-interprets it. The translator takes the LS1 signal and "translates" it into an electronic signal that the old ECM can understand. It has nothing to do with the extender. Theres so much misunderstanding out there regarding this stuff.
Ask yourself this question: Can you run a translator and LS1 MAF with a stock chip? Yes you can. The extender simply cuts the MAF resolution in half in order to stretch the range out. Thats all it does. Then it re-interprets the data into something it can use. The translator and Ls1 maf have nothing to do with the extender. Everyone seems to think its a whole package that has to go together. If you understand how the translator works and what it does, and then understand how the extender works and what it does, you'll find they're really not related in any way. But if you tell people that if they have one, then they need the other, then you can make alot of money...
If I was running twice as much fuel as normal, the motor wouldnt even run, let alone have dead nuts perfect BLM's and o2's and crosscounts and no malfunction codes.

NOwhere in the instructions does it say that the extender chip may be used with a STOCK MAF sensor, IN fact they suggest you double check the switch settings on the translator to make sure they are set to ON-ON-OFF OFF for the extender or ON-ON-ON-OFF for a standard chip.

MY MAF signal on my scanmaster is cut in half, it reads 100 grams when 200 are being flowed, idle reading is 2 instead of 4.
YOU may have your combo working but the ecm is subtracting fuel like crazy

I could re set my translator to the stock chip setting, IF my MAF levels do not change THEN , YOU ARE CORRECT, but if they double and my car starts running like crap then I AM CORRECT, I am not going to do this test today, but start a thread asking this question( will a stock maf work with extender chip and see what other's have to say)

REGARDS, TURBO E38

MY MAF signal on my scanmaster is cut in half, it reads 100 grams when 200 are being flowed, idle reading is 2 instead of 4.
YOU may have your combo working but the ecm is subtracting fuel like crazy

REGARDS, TURBO E38
Its not subtracting fuel like crazy. My BLM's are dead nuts perfect.
What you see on your scanmaster, is the reading being manipulated by the extender. But the chip is also taking that manipulated signal and seeing it represented as a stock type curve. In the program, all it will say to do, is to divide the number in half, and then assign a value to that number that represents the real number. What you see on your scanmaster is only part of the equation. It will take an actual reading of 200, cut it in half, and then assign a value that says basically, "when you see 100, assign fueling trims/timing? normally associated to what the number 200 used to do. You can run the fueling through the roof, but the limiting factor is the MAF signal. If you simply cut the MAF resolution in half, you can double its range. It wont have the same accuracy, (you lose 50% signal resolution), but it will be fine for what we need. You may lose a slight bit of drivability, but if everything is adjusted and all sensors and plugs/wires/coils, etc are ok, then that 50% cut in resolution really wont hurt you.