What is this torque converter?

Jobi-Wan

Howdy,

When I bought my GN, it had a bad transmission. When I pulled it, the torque converter was not a D5. It only has a small "6" stamped on it in a couple of places. I called the previous owner (not who I bought it from) who insisted it had a B&M 12" lockup with higher stall...etc.

Anyway, didn't have money for new torque converter so I had to put it back in. Big mistake on my part. I want to put in a stock D5 or go with the PTS Xtreme D5, but was just wondering what is in it now. I think I need a new TCC solenoid too. Oh, well. I'm learning.

I'm going to miss the NATs in BG, even though they're just down the road (Gotta go outta state...bad, bad timing). I was hoping to talk around and maybe satisfy my curiosity, but won't be able to.

Thanks to anybody with suggestions.

Unfortunately,

when it comes to torque converters, you literally cannot "judge a book by it's cover."

There are so many variables with converter configuration and they are all sealed inside. Impeller fin angles, stator design, clearances and potential modifications to these components to name a few.

Even worse, when it comes to used converters, even if you knew brand and part number, you can't assess the internal condition too easily.

So, to answer your question; I don't know. :p

Thanks for the replies anyway. I'm getting a new torque converter when I decide what I want, so it doesn't really matter. Any suggestions would be great. Can you get a new stock D5 from GM? Or should I get something like the PTS Xtreme D5?

Thanks