What is this sensor?

0-60n4

Please educate me on this.

This sensor is plugged into the electrical cable but not installed into the air intake anywhere. It was just laying against the inside fender well. I expect it is the original IAT sensor that went in the original air intake housing.

But are there two different sensors? One Ambient Air Temp sensor and one Intake Air Temp sensor? Or are they one and the same? I was going to purchase a new one like this and install it in my cold air intake tube somewhere but the automotive parts stores show the IAT sensor as a screw in type for a manifold. They listed an Ambient Air Temp sensor but shown as no longer available. So I'm confused.

IAT (inlet air temp) MAT (manifold air temp) ATS (air temp sensor ) are all the same thing. we only have one
what you have pictured is a newer temp sensor that pushes into the rubber elbows on some newer cars
the one for ours was a brass body thread in sensor that screwed into the elbow on the top of the OE air cleaner and when going to a cold air with K+N filter they usually drill a hole in side of filter neck to push the sensor into , that sensor you have could be used like that

on a stock ecm and chip it really doesnt have much effect on fueling unless its really cold so being on fender instead of in the air cleaner path wouldnt be much temp difference and wouldnt change the way car runs

OK, thanks for the quick reply and information. I may just leave it tucked out of the way where it is then.

Happy New Year!