what is the proper torqe for rods with arp bolts and chrome moly lube?

bpman1234

hi need to know how much to torqe rods with arp 2000 bolts with chrome moly lube also do you need to install spiro locks with pressed in pins or floating pins ./ PLEASE HELP. THE MACHINE SHOP TOLD ME TO TORQE THE RODS 55LBS WITH CHROME MOLY AND THE MAINS TO 75LS WITH STUDS AND MOLY .

.....PLEASE HELP. THE MACHINE SHOP TOLD ME TO TORQE THE RODS 55LBS WITH CHROME MOLY AND THE MAINS TO 75LS WITH STUDS AND MOLY .

I really hate to see questions like this. :confused: You are asking people with no idea what your machine shop has done with your parts to help you assemble a short block after you paid someone else?

If the rods were re-sized, which they should have been, then this would determine final torque for them.

Assuming to block was align honed and bearing clearances set, the above statement would apply as well.

I gladly pay my machinist additional to bolt the short block together as it then becomes his responsibility to assure his work is properly. I can do it, but common sense tells me someone that does this every day is better equipped and qualified than I am to make sure it is done right.

Having done 600-700 V-6 engine builds without a bottom end issue confirms this method has worked well for me. :)

OK THANKS .THEY CHARGED ME TO BALLENCE EVERYTHING block was align honed and bearing clearances set,BLOCK DECKED AND THEY TOLD ME WHAT BEARINGS TI USE AND WHAT TO TORQE IT TO ALSO DONT KNOW WHY THEY JUST DIDNT PUT TOGETHER IF THEY ALREADY HAD MOST OF IT TOGETHER ALREADY .

I DID CHECK FOR CLEARENCE WITH THAT WAX GREEN STRING EVERYTHING CHECKOUT BUT I HAD TO BRING THE RODS BACK TO THEM CAUSE THEY PRESSED THE RODS TO THE CENTER OF THE PIN AND NOT .098 OFF CENTER THATS WHY I AM NOW QUESTIONING EVERY THIG ELSE THEY DID.

I DID CHECK FOR CLEARENCE WITH THAT WAX GREEN STRING EVERYTHING CHECKOUT BUT I HAD TO BRING THE RODS BACK TO THEM CAUSE THEY PRESSED THE RODS TO THE CENTER OF THE PIN AND NOT .098 OFF CENTER THATS WHY I AM NOW QUESTIONING EVERY THIG ELSE THEY DID.

I do not want to beat you up on this, but it is important for you and others to learn how and what can, and should be be done when dealing of these "special" cars, that only a relative few were produced over 25 years ago.

Some engine shops are Production, not Speciality or Performance shops, and do not care, or have the experience or knowledge on building a performance Buick V-6.

I have seen many engines done by other shops there were total disasters and costs the customer lots of $$$$ to get right. Just finished 3 GN's over the past 2 months that shops had totally screwed up.

It would be wise to check references from a shop and find out what their customer's say about their work.

I will be glad to help, so feel free to call if you need, or want, any info. :)