What is the idle RPM of your TR ?

RobsIron

Silent but Violent
Warmed up mine idles at 1200 in gear. Seems high. I backed the screw all the way out and 1200 is as low as it goes.

That screw is not to adjust idle. Idle is controlled by the ecu/prom chip. Should be 750 to 850 or so. My guess is you have a handful of issues causing your problem. First step in figuring it out is pulling and posting your scan master numbers. Without it properly tuning your gn is next to impossible.

That explains the screw doing nothing..heheh. I guess I finally need to get a scanmaster. Whats the most advanced scan tool today? I'll buy a laptop for it if I have too. Runs like a mofo tho..just high idle..

There's gotta be something better than a scanmaster nowadays. I'll do a search.

There's gotta be something better than a scanmaster nowadays. I'll do a search.[/QUOTE

The Powerlogger with a laptop is excellent for real-time data as well as recording data on the fly.

Go to the turbotweak web site and forum to check it out!

idle speed is controlled by how much air you let into the engine.

too high idle could be:
cruise control cable too tight.
throttle blade not closing properly (or bent)
bad gasket for throttle body, intake doghouse, vacuum manifold, or IAC
bad iac
bad ecm
bad harness between IAC and ECM
vacuum leak from any number of places (PCV, carbon canister line, etc.)

or:
TPS adjusted too high at idle
problem with the coolant sensor, so engine is staying at its cold idle speed.

those are what come to mind first.

Bob

Thanks Nick! Is it good all by itself or should I add the scanmaster? I noticed many have both..

idle speed is controlled by how much air you let into the engine.

too high idle could be:
cruise control cable too tight.
throttle blade not closing properly (or bent)
bad gasket for throttle body, intake doghouse, vacuum manifold, or IAC
bad iac
bad ecm
bad harness between IAC and ECM
vacuum leak from any number of places (PCV, carbon canister line, etc.)

or:
TPS adjusted too high at idle
problem with the coolant sensor, so engine is staying at its cold idle speed.

those are what come to mind first.

Bob

Terrific. That's quite a list. I'll start with the simple stuff and use a vacuum gauge tmrw. Then order the scan tools.

Thanks Bob! (y)

I don't think I have cruise control. Hell, on my way home tonight just about a mile from the house there was some light rain. Turned on the wipers and nothing. There aren't any! Hahaha.

First time its seen rain since I've had it in almost 12 years.

Your gonna need a scan tool now for sure. You have to reset your throttle blade position. This would be the easiest way.

Also, when I had an idle problem way back, I checked all the things Bob mentioned above. This is the first step. Everything clearly was perfect. But it didn't make sense because it was off so I adjusted (xfi) and then later it was off again, so I readjusted, then later it was off again, so I readjusted, then again and again.........

Turns out it was the IAC. Damned thing had me going crazy. I was embarrassed because I should have known better.

If you don't want to get a Scanmaster,you can always check/adjust the TPS and IAC with a multimeter. I did it that waay for a long time. A downside to that is when those brittle weather pack clips snap off.

The Scanmaster is a better alternative.

Mine idles at 850.

here is a partial shot of a friends car idling, you can see target RPM, actual RPM, IAC, TPS, etc...

screenshot.jpg

Some seriously good info here. Thank you. I will definitely get a scan tool and check that IAC first!

Get a scanmaster. Its an absolute necessity. Its the best damn money spent for tuning a tr. Makes it super easy. Just post numbers and let the resident gurus here tell you exactly what you need to do. No guesswork. I guarantee You won't regret it.

I can't believe you don't have one already!o_O
Get a scanmaster. Its an absolute necessity. Its the best damn money spent for tuning a tr. Makes it super easy. Just post numbers and let the resident gurus here tell you exactly what you need to do. No guesswork. I guarantee You won't regret it.

Yes, all my previous TR's have had scanmasters. I've only put 1100 miles on this one in 12 years. The first 600 was still motor break in time and I now just now started to drive it a little 'harder'. Its been tiptop until the high idle thing.

Definitely am getting a scan tool.

Thanks for the input. (y)

Yes, all my previous TR's have had scanmasters. I've only put 1100 miles on this one in 12 years. The first 600 was still motor break in time and I now just now started to drive it a little 'harder'. Its been tiptop until the high idle thing.

Definitely am getting a scan tool.

Thanks for the input. (y)
Oh, I was confused a little. I couldn't believe you could own a car like the one in your signature without a scan tool and not blown it up yet. I figured you had to be the luckiest TR owner I have ever met!!!:ROFLMAO: