what is the best security device??

S

SMOKIN86T

i had an 86 GN, 75 thousand miles, moon roof, PERFECT condition, stolen from me when i went to see fast and furious at the movies. I CANT BELIVE i never got a security device put on it! if only i knew than what i know now! i would have had a perfect GN runing 12's by now, but i never got a chance to get it past stock. im starting all over now with this 86 rosewood T type, and already have an alarm on it, and i use a club (even i know they are junk) just for that extra 2 minutes of struggle a theif might hafto go through. i know this is not enough. whats a shurefire way besides lo-jack or other expensive devices?

others will jump in with the link to this topic on gn/ttype.org but i'll tell you if i go into a store or something to that point the min. i do is unplug the fuel pump.

the plug is attached to the gas tank strap just behind the rear bumper (3 wire plug)

if people are around i'll just drop my keys under the back bumper then when i bend down to get them i pop the plug lose and hang it over the othe plug so it dont hang down.

i have also popped the hood and unplugged the power wire to the computer but keep it tucked down behind the battery so even if someone got the hood up it wont stand out at them.

but i will actually be adding switches to shut down some of these without having to unplug them all the time.

if all else fails dont let the car out your sight and keep a full clip ready....i pitty the fool who tries to steal my car if i do happen to see them. i will make a human sprinkler out of them.

I fully agree with REDS HOT AIR, I also unplug the fuel pump as a minimum and if I am in a large busy parking lot then I also unhook the computer. This is on top of having an alarm on my car. The more things you can do to keep it, the better.

Good luck,

Paul Beal
pbeal@sympatico.ca

P.S. - I also unhook the cam sensor when I am leaving my car for a long time (like stored in the garage for the winter).

I've seen the steering column collars, and I think these are great as the ones I see recovered(g-bodies) are usually stolen by breaking the left side of the column to access the gear driven by the lock cylinder, popping it off and sliding the rod to start and disable the steering lock. the collar device eliminates that. of course thats IMO.-Rob

Also a few links for Insurance auto auctions:

http://www.iaai-bid.com/veh_detail.asp?auctionid=981019&itemid=999387

note this one doesnt have the original column.

http://www.iaai-bid.com/veh_detail.asp?auctionid=0&itemid=977746

http://www.iaai-bid.com/veh_detail.asp?auctionid=0&itemid=979968

or you could search the site for regals

-Rob

I use this dual relay setup: I cannot remember the site where I found it, but it works GREAT! I use it to interrupt my starter circuit, along with a cabin mounted fuel pump kill switch.

HTH,

Attachments

• reed alarm.jpg
    reed alarm.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 244
Security

I too have been known to unplug the FP or the cam sensor....

But, an anti-theft chip makes all the difference. Peace of mind.

Now I only do the drastic things when I will be parking the car for more than a few hours....

And if car-jacking is the worry, the anti-theft chip is there as soon as you spin the key to off.

TB

www.unbrakeable.com

One thing I use in addition to the above mentioned tricks is the brake wedge (maybe it's called Auto Lock?). It's the infomercial one that wedges the brake pedal against the floorboard. I think it's more secure than The Club. Sometimes I use both.

No single item is enough though, you have to use several tricks at a time.

[:)

Thanks guys! i think the fuel pump plug sounds good for now. where i work, i park my car in a parking garage for 8 hours some times!

With the turbo off mine , they should see how slow it is and breing it back any way.

Always park it were you can see it. Movie theaters & malls I'll take one of my work trucks (with no tools in it).

Jesse:cool:

Hey..Mkazigian made me think of this when he mentioned brake wedge..
If you have line locks would it be a good Idea to activate them right before you shut the car off?? Then they can't really go anywhere w/o screeching tires and so forth..
Would this Idea even work?? I Dont know if the line locks can be activated when the car is off..

using a line loc? I dont know if the solenoid is designed to be continuous "on", i believe it's desigh was for short-term use. just my .02

If you had it on a toggle switch and made sure it was only "Hot" when the key switch was turned on. The 1st time they hit the brake they will not get going again. They may burn up the trans or something trying to move it but Hey.. their stealing your car.... Maybe you can get more of it back this way if they dont get as far. This should work if they bust the column out and start it I would think. Worth a try.....Russ :cool:

Russel

Love that Sig. I only have one...Desert Eagle .50 AE! Big guns make big holes in stupid crooks!;) Then you just gotta dispose of the body. BTW, I believe you are correct on the toggle/key-on theory, but I'll still go with the column guard. if they can't start it they cant drive it...

I have the column locks on my cars as well. I dont want my column punched even though they still cant start it. :D :cool: Russ

This whole car theft thing seems strange here on an Island where we all know each others cars, etc. Of course, the Imports are always being stolen here and chopped up. Domestic thefts(muscle cars, etc.) are a lot more rare. From looking at Insurance Auto Auctions site, it seems that all the G/N's and T's are being used for parts(motor/trans). This is disturbing to say the least. The big question is where are these parts going? and who is buying them? with all of the resources of the different turbo regal sites, its almost like being on an Island anyway,

thrasher anti thieft

the anti thieft in the thrasher chips are very good. a thief would never be able to figure it out. but they would have your steering column all jacked up before they left it. so a collar guard is an exellent idea.
as far as the club goes, toss it and get a collar guard. i almost had mine stollen out of my driveway with a club installed. the ass wipe who did it used a bolt cutter to cut thru the steering wheel. probably took about 10 sec to get it off.
forturnatelly i had a fuel pump cut off switch and was activated. my neighbor heard the car trying to start over and over and he scared them away.
i dont use the club any more. not only did i have to get the column repaired i had to get a new steering wheel also.
i the car now sleeps in the garage since then. the thrasher thieft protection never needs activation so it is a real plus.

drew

think about it guys

Think......public forums are great but lets assume the thirves are here.........they are........it would even be possible for them to see where your located and even find your car.........

Lets face it.....there isn t big money in stealing these cars.....they only cost 10k thats nothing in todays car market......they do it cause they know TR's.

Most of the serious guys on this board including myself could steal most of our cars......... I ve had four tr's and two have been attemped.....one was just dumb luck that I got to keep it.....

If you own it they will try, period!

I know to check your fp connector, cam sensor, ecm plug, kill switches , etc.......so do they.

The only thing that keeps your car is time......and risk.

You have to do things to your car that someone else wouldn t do , this could be the ecm wiring speghetti trick......its good......you do it your way........you make your keyed plug.......

I could defeat most of the board members tricks in minutes or less and I ve never stolen a car..........So if I had profound knowledge of over coming alarms and hot wiring(the colum I am more familair with, by no choice of my own) I could get almost any of our cars in just minutes.....not hours.......minutes like under five........
A freinds car was stolen about 2 months ago now......from a big 5 sporting goods, he said he was inside for 4 or 5 minutes tops......and the car was parked with in eye sight of the front door!

You need to buy time......which increases the risk.........the bottom line......the more the better.......

A chip! if you steal tr's chances are that you have a chip to take with you.......lets see, thats 30 maybe 40 seconds to tear the kick panel off and use a nut driver to get the cover off if you put it back on?

Collar gaurds are good.........some better then others.......probably 30 seconds to 30 minutes of buy time there depending on which one and how prepared the thief.

Kill switches.......maybe 5 minutes tops if your clever

Unplugged sensors......1 maybe two minutes.........

Alarm? I dont know.....probably depends on the thief and not the alarm...........3 minutes for a pro to not at all for an ameture.....

ECM wiring plug of speghetti? Virtually impossible to overcome.....the only map is that of the maker.......so short of probing every wire and massive knowledge of specific ecm outputs or imputs........it s not going anywhere other then by tow.......

Brake locks? 30 second s to a minute......easy to cut lines....

Blocking by other cars........great, buys more time before they even get to the big problems.....

Lo jack...???? 600$ thats not even the cost of that front mount.............or that turbo or that.....you get the point......
Might come in handy if they just repo tow it......whats that take....10 maybe 15 seconds tops.......You can watch from 40 ft away and no stop them........repo trucks don t even have to get out of the truck......just back up to it and its gone.......thats gone as in you done.......

Hopefully you will be carrying that ar or 357 or what ever when your eating breakfast with you gf on sunday morning at starbucks........you may need it.....cause you won t be able to get to the car before they leave............physically anyways....

depressing.......Iknow.

:mad:

John.. Whats happen man? have you told any girls that you love them latly:D .......I think its a good device. But like 1320 said if someone wants it bad anuff there going to get it......but Iam not going to make easy for them.
give me a call anytime.

see ya
Jesse :cool: