What is it that goes First on the 2004R

Basic question, Clutches? Pump? Shaft? What is it that causes the 2004R to take a dump at about
12.00 ET or just under?

If you can find that thread I can see about sticking it again Paul. It really does need to be there for refference.:)

Wow

Really? no straight answer like, Clucthes, Stator, etc...No Known weak point in the tranny? Just replace the whole thing huh?

Wow

Really? no straight answer like, Clucthes, Stator, etc...No Known weak point in the tranny? Just replace the whole thing huh?

Its more of a "random victim SOB" :D .. I have broken just about everything with just a 12/mid 11 car ... including an input shaft on the way to the track for a "Buick Day" .. The "wallet thing" goes without saying. :oops: 2/3 flairs were a very big problem in the early days. Oh.. stator is prob the first thing that goes.

Please bear with me on this one . Coming from the street rod side I'm new to the 200-4r . I'm just trying to learn . tried to get the latest model core out of the junk yard we could find . Stator was shot . input shaft had surface rust . Replaced stator , input shaft , new spacer plate , bushings , seals , steels , frictions , plastic check balls , yada ,yada. Did it myself . Was told not to but was hard headed . got it up and running . one of the check balls stuck in the spacer plate and the lo/reverse clutches fried . Fixed that . used steel check balls this time . I may not have driven the lo/reverse seal in far enough . been up and running about a year . So far so good . I'm sure I'll have more questions . Please cut me a little slack .

The second gear band was an issue, the stator supports wore, and forward drums were known to break leaving you with no forward gears. There are upgrades for these parts, a wider band, billet anchor pins, billet forward drums, and clutch materials have come a long way. There is also a book by CK transmissions, it's a must if your going to work on this thing yourself. The parts I mentioned above had all caused me issues at one time or another, these transmissions can be made to live for a long long time if done right. My last unit was going on 5 years, with a lot of street driving, I got screwed because my low roller clutch began to flake, the friction material locked up the boost valve and I had flares which burned up the 2nd gear band. Everything else in the trans was still like new. A hardened stator support, billet forward drum, billet anchor pin and billet o/d ring gear, heavy duty servo, 10 vane pump are a must.

2nd gear flair for me and Al. Heard of or seen, input shaft snap, bands fried, pumps etc. Seems pretty much a pick-em.

Mine was 2-3 flair...most common is the directs, 2nd gear band, forward drum snapping and sprags.

Those are the most common failures IMO...Of course overheating is a given and neglect

From what I've gathered a good bar/plate trans cooler and a deep pan and 700 filter will take care of the heat and shift flares. Then you really get a chance to break stuff lol. That's what I'm doing. Just gonna run it til it goes.

no it won't but flare is caused by cavitation which can easily happen on any 200 trans due to the filter.

I'm not saying fixing these two things are gonna make it live forever, but it's two less things to make it break. Stock 305s have been known to break hard parts.

forward motion is the first thing to go ..

??? It would seem like something mechanical in the transmission would break FIRST, BEFORE forward motion goes. Unless I have it backwards and it's, whenever a car stops its forward motion the transmission will break. But if that is true, our transmissions would be breaking many times every day!!!!